Page 1 of 1
Body work and Paint \  Need some opinions ,tools and other paint body topics

Need some opinions ,tools and other paint body topics

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 1175
replies 3
following 4

tuckinlugs06   +1y
Right now i am attending uti in houston , and still not set on what i wan to be a painter or body man , i am leaning more to bodyman , but i would like some input on sanding blocks , whats the best ones everyone uses , and if anyone has tips for bodywork and paint , i plan to build a both when i get back
bagged95s10   +1y
Years ago I started as a bodyman and picked up painting along the way, then quit and went to the oil field. lol, But i still do both on the side. As far as blocks go, a 3M soft block is a must, hutchins speed file and an assortment of Durablocks, long short round ect, also i put 2" green tape on my durablocks surface, the sandpaper adhears better to the tape than the block. I own one inline air sander but dont use it much. As far as tips go body work starts with the metal, its gotta be right first and then you can only sand filler as straight as you spread it. Hope this helps
leydbck   +1y
Edited: 12/26/2012 10:14:26 AM by leydbck

One of my best friend's dad was a body man/painter for years. He once told me he he loved painting but got tired of his beautiful paint jobs getting ruined because of lazy poor body work, so he switched over to body and metal work to make sure whatever car he touched would have a perfect start for whatever kind of paint job it was getting. Just something to think about.
bodydropped85   +1y
Edited: 12/27/2012 11:35:49 AM by bagged85

quit school, and go start as an apprentice. that will teach you more than any school will. i took the bs class in highschool, didnt learn shit other than wetsanding and taping. i have ben in the body industry for 8 years. a school will help you some, but majority of shops want experience not book knowledge.
Page 1 of 1