Toyota Trucks \  Pre tacoma axle shafts

Pre tacoma axle shafts

Toyota Trucks Make Specific
views 435
replies 7
following 6

humanmachinehead   +1y
OK, heres the short...

I've got a 2002 tacoma and i've started going through my pre tacoma axle (92 or 93 i believe) and mocked up my 22s on it to get some measurements. It seems like i'm gonna be too wide still with a body drop to clear the top of the bedside. I dont wanna flare the bedside cause i think it looks bad, so does anyone know where i can get axle shafts with longer splines so i can cut them down, or even just shorter ones so i can narrow the axle a bit? I've read that some people weld the axles up and spine into that to shorten them but i'd prefer to not go that route. Cutting a section out of the center and sleeving it crossed my mind but idk if what would cause any problems.

Any input would be great
mx_wrench   +1y
I'm not sure but I thought I read somewhere that you could narrow the pre tacoma axles just by cutting them down an inch and there was still enough spline left. I'll try to find it.
mx_wrench   +1y
found it
burnzya   +1y
the axle seth did was a super early hilux axle. 73 if i remember him telling me correctly. i asked him before i did mine and he said to only go 3/4" and not the full 1".

i don't think the newer axles have the extra spline. you could pull an axle and see where it's been riding on the splines. if there is extra it could be done.

or you could go with another older 84-88 axle and not narrow anything. each generation was more narrow then the next. my 73 axle was something like 53" and i took 1.5" out of it.
humanmachinehead   +1y
Well that may be a better route then. Its ruffy 56 or so right now with the rotors sat on it, and I was wanting to narrow it 4 inchs. 4 is a touch more than I need but i'd rather do it once and not worry about it. Its hard to find 2wd toyota axles here though. Its nothing but 4wd stuff everywhere. Guess i'll keep a look out on craigslist
rizz0   +1y
you can send axles out to moser and have them resplined but i would send out your longer taco rear because they cant respline onto a spline so they have to cut it off completely so the yota rear might end up too short.....
humanmachinehead   +1y
Actually I had a local friend see this post and he found me a 70's rear end a buddy of his had, so i'm hoping to get that next week sometime. So hopefully all is good now
Page 1 of 1