Page 1 of 2
Air Ride Suspensions \  FORD RANGER IRS

FORD RANGER IRS

Air Ride Suspensions Q & A
views 5024
replies 15
following 10

markmnotdead   +1y
I'm looking to run IRS on my ranger with a stock mustang 5.0. The only mustang that has IRS is an '03 Cobra and the IRS is almost impossible to get a hold of. Does anyone know what other IRS set up would work? or would recommend running with the 5.0? Lemme know. Thanks.
bodydropped85   +1y
get a tbird irs, the 8.8 one out of the supercoupe/v8 cars are the same as the cobra, you will just need the knuckles/brakes off the cobra.
THE LOW RANGER   +1y
thunder bird
h2omelon(nick)   +1y
Actually 99-04 mustang cobras had irs. The Lincoln Mark viii had irs as well and was aluminum.
oneandthenanother   +1y
i'm running the jaguar inboard brakes one
markmnotdead   +1y
--------------------------------------------

oneandthenanother said:

i'm running the jaguar inboard brakes one

Yeah man I'm looking at running the jaguar type s IRS. I'm having a hard time locating a t bird IRS or an older Mustang Cobra IRS. I talked to a local junkyard and I can get any IRS setup for $500 which doesn't seem like a bad deal. I'm still unsure if I want to run the IRS, still looking into on how to go about setting it up and building the frame for it.
xgolferdude   +1y
Only the terminater cobras had the irs... 03-04. That's it.. The problem with the jag stuff with air ride is it dosent have upper and lower control arms... So it just dosent travel well... But the tbird or mark 8 are imo the easiest to fab up cuz it has axtual upper and lower control arms and u wont fight the toe problems through travel that most get... And parts are plentiful and not expensive..
markmnotdead   +1y

xgolferdude said:

Only the terminater cobras had the irs... 03-04. That's it.. The problem with the jag stuff with air ride is it dosent have upper and lower control arms... So it just dosent travel well... But the tbird or mark 8 are imo the easiest to fab up cuz it has axtual upper and lower control arms and u wont fight the toe problems through travel that most get... And parts are plentiful and not expensive..

If I got the jaguar IRS I was going to get MMW to make some control arms for me, but I got you. What year t bird or what year mark 8? I read somewhere that a '96 Mark IRS and cradle for the IRS unbolts and I could just use that to go off of. I talked to a couple of people about it and they just said no matter what it's a lot of work in general. I'm just trying to get some information before I decided what it is I want to do. I don't want to get myself in over my head, ya know?
h2omelon(nick)   +1y

xgolferdude said:

All 99-04 Cobra Mustangs had IRS, not just the 03-04. http://www.edmunds.com/ford/mustang-svt-cobra/1999/

Tired of being beat in the power game by the V8 Camaro and Firebird twins, Ford has beefed up the SVT Cobra considerably for this year. Not only does this pony feature more horsepower (320 at 6,000 rpm) than before, but it comes standard with independent rear suspension, a first in the Mustang's 35-year history.
xgolferdude   +1y
This is what I would say.. if your not comfortable building a front suspension from scratch the same should be for building an irs... Go to team321 racing...and they have adapted this set up to a lot of stuff... Lots of info...