Page 1 of 2
Toyota Trucks \  Framing a yota bed ?

Framing a yota bed ?

Toyota Trucks Make Specific
views 1354
replies 11
following 8

sparage   +1y
Anybody have any pointers on framing a yota bed? I plan on using 1x1. The bed mounts are in 4 of the factory locations on a 2x3 back half. Just wondering how some of you connected to the mounts after doing a back half. also I think i can run the 1x1 up in the rail of the bedsides then down from there. Should I drill holes and spot weld from the top and sides or what? Just looking for some pointers. I have raised a stock bed floor but it bolted back in factory mounts. Basically i'm using just the bedsides and building from there... Thanks
StockfloorYota   +1y
This should show you a bit. It's my bed getting built. Guy who built my trucks frame strengthened the bed up with 1x3 from top to bottom and then it just went from there. We put 1x2 on the inner edge to thicken the rails and then he just built off that I believe.

sparage   +1y
Thank you sir. Anybody got any more. I was thinking of running it under the bed rail instead of on the side but i'm open to idea's thats what this post is for.
burnzya   +1y
Edited: 12/28/2011 11:02:17 PM by burnzya

here's how i did my 86. i basically built it all and then stuck the bedsides on. it was super simple.

hope that helps
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
sparage   +1y
This is on a 89 but same concept. Bernie is the top just welded on that one edge?
burnzya   +1y
yes. you could do plug welds from the top as well but you won't gain much with them. it's a pretty stout bed, and heavy as hell after all the 16 gauge lol
sparage   +1y
Alright so you cut the lip off the rail and welded it flush. Am i seeing that right? Oh and that is 1x1 correct?
burnzya   +1y
yeah it's 1x1. i cut off the vertical lip where the tubing would go. if you put the tube behind it then you'll have a gap in between the vertical tubes and the sheetmetal when it's time to fill in the sides.
StockfloorYota   +1y
Bernie's is definitely best IMO. You at least don't have the extra weight of floor you can't see and all that garbage.
i8nt2lo   +1y
Here's mine....98 Taco...

post photo
post photo
post photo