threads
Page 2 of 2
Air Ride Suspensions \  2x2 or 2x3 rails under cab?

2x2 or 2x3 rails under cab?

Air Ride Suspensions Q & A
views 1180
replies 19
following 15

tre5   +1y
We all know you you buy exhaust that is only 2" round (or even smaller), but you will want some clearance between the exhaust and the cab even if you wrap the exhaust under the cab.
bdydrppup   +1y
yeah I was lucky with my last stock floor, since it was a dually and i was using 2x4 it was no problem to run 2 1/2" exhaust. I may just do a combo body drop or maybe even try the channelling route
donobird   +1y
i think 2x2 would work on an unloaded mini. just look at muscle cars thay most of them have sbu frames. 2x3 3/16 and up will work best.
chophousemetalwerx   +1y
2x3 3/16 wall standing up would b a min I would put under an mini
I wouldn't put anything smaller or lay it on it's side
Just channel the floor were it hits the floor depending how much the rail comes thew the floor I doubt u can even tell that it was ever cut when carpet goes back in it
renagadecoupe   +1y
i know i havent posted much but 2x2 square tubing 1/4 thick is fine for any full chassis as long as its braced...we build full tube chassis cars with 1 1/2 tubing 1/8 thick day in and out so would be no different as long as you brace it up from tweaking..
2PUMPED   +1y
--------------------------------------------

donobird said:

i think 2x2 would work on an unloaded mini. just look at muscle cars thay most of them have sbu frames. 2x3 3/16 and up will work best.

Muscle cars also have the full uni body as strenth as well, sub frame conectors just help stiffen up for twisting under high power engines.
2PUMPED   +1y
I would use 2x3 standing up, Strength comes from side wall height as well as design. If you are having clearance issues I would channel it.
2PUMPED   +1y
Edited: 12/17/2011 3:01:47 PM by 2PUMPED

2PUMPED   +1y

strokerbobber said:

i know i havent posted much but 2x2 square tubing 1/4 thick is fine for any full chassis as long as its braced...we build full tube chassis cars with 1 1/2 tubing 1/8 thick day in and out so would be no different as long as you brace it up from tweaking..

Round is stronger than square
bdydrppup   +1y

bagged85 said:

you could double up the rails [][] like that then you could run prob 1/8 or 3/16 wall. why not just cut the top of the frame down? or is it c channel and not boxed.

Do you think the frame would be strong enough if you cut it down from 4.5" to 3" then boxed the top back in with 1/4"?