threads
Page 1 of 2
Air Ride Suspensions \  2x2 or 2x3 rails under cab?

2x2 or 2x3 rails under cab?

Air Ride Suspensions Q & A
views 1172
replies 19
following 15

bdydrppup   +1y
Has anyone successfully used 2x2 or 2x3 laying on its side for frame rails under the cab of a mini for a stockfloor? is there just too much flex? 2x3 upright isnt worth the trouble as it will only give me a 1 1/2 " gain over stock rails. Thanks in advance
BK2LIFE   +1y
my old yota has 2x2 /250 wall under its stock floor.

been done for over 10 years.

still driving around today..
AON-4PumpedCL   +1y
2x2 would work fine upright, but it's not strong enough if you put it on its side. :)
mike86mazda   +1y
--------------------------------------------

AON-4PumpedCL said:

2x2 would work fine upright, but it's not strong enough if you put it on its side. :)

yeah the left or right side may be a little weak.. make sure its set up properly from top to bottom and the 2x2 will be good to go...:DRAG:
slammedxonair   +1y
If you used 2x2 best bet would be to use min 1/4" wall and good cross bracing maybe even 3/8" wall (probably overkill). I would say if it has to be 2" tall use 2x3 1/4" wall with good crossmembers.
bdydrppup   +1y

AON-4PumpedCL said:

hahaha yep. thought about puttin the 2x2 up on end like a diamond . you know what i mean, that only applied for the 2x3 lol
bodydropped85   +1y
you could double up the rails [][] like that then you could run prob 1/8 or 3/16 wall. why not just cut the top of the frame down? or is it c channel and not boxed.
bdydrppup   +1y
Nah, it's boxed rails. I need 4 1/4 to lay rocker. after I cut off the extra rocker. 2x3 rails would only give me a 1 1/2". so i would still hafta cut floor it too. my std cab is cut floor and its a big step lol. may just go that route though
tre5   +1y
Where's the exhaust going to go? I say run 2x3 3" tall and do a small traditional body drop. That way there is still room for the exhaust and the frame is much stronger. The smallest I have ever run was 2.5x2.5 x .250 wall. That was on the amigo and the portion of the frame that size was only about 4 feet long before I was able to kick it up to 2x3.
bdydrppup   +1y
You know thats a very good point. without running flat like rectangle exhaust you would be in trouble. not to mention hot floor also