Page 1 of 1
Body work and Paint \  painting plastic dash

painting plastic dash

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 1149
replies 9
following 10

xplosiv1990   +1y
im trying to find out what i need to do to paint my dash in my 90 chevy truck. I failed the first time and it cracked after putting it back in the truck now time to start over any help would be appriciated.
Uncle Fester   +1y
Does it have a padding or is it hard plastic?
Prep is a big part of it and make sure degreased good. Armoral is a *****
still_2_hi   +1y
I did my 93 chevy, sanded it down with 80 grit on a DA sander. Then adhesion promoter and prime. Then block it down with 400. Then probalby prime again block with 800 and paint. Boom sexy dash
jrock   +1y
--------------------------------------------

still_2_hi said:

I did my 93 chevy, sanded it down with 80 grit on a DA sander. Then adhesion promoter and prime. Then block it down with 400. Then probalby prime again block with 800 and paint. Boom sexy dash

--------------------------------------------This is what i did, but i added a good amount of flex since mine is half padded and it has not cracked or blistered
still_2_hi   +1y
ya only thing i have heard is flex additve is only good for 12 hours or so its just to prevent cracking when installing a big bumper that is flexing as you try to put it on the car. For the soft pieces of mine i sanded them just to roughen them up, then put straight fiberglass resin on there. Sanded it smooth and applied the resin again
railkng   +1y
fiberglass son! its the only true and right way
sik_kreations   +1y
no glass is not.. it expands and contracts against the plastic and will eventually fail.. adhesion promoter and 2k primer or epoxy is the only way to go...
Syk96Rngr   +1y
I have used the adhesion promoter as well to avoid peeling from heat.
shpaint1   +1y
sik_kreations is right, glass wil fail every time theres just no way to stop the heat affects between the 2 different materials. a good adhesion promoter ( i like the HOK AP-01 my self ) and a 2K primer is really yer best bet.
bodydropped85   +1y
wash it with a scuff pad and plastics cleaner FIRST before you sand it. then sand it with some 180 da(80 is to rough) then adhesion promote it and prime it with a 2k primer. block/sand prep paint.
Page 1 of 1