Page 1 of 1
Body work and Paint \  Need some clear coat assistance

Need some clear coat assistance

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 494
replies 5
following 5

wickedinsides   +1y
So I painted my colorado last weekend. The base came out great and so did the first coat of clear. On the second coat, I made a major fuckup. At 2 am and half asleep, I mixed the clear using reducer instead of hardener. They are in the same container, but their part numbers are just one number off. So now, almost 6 days later, the paint is mostly dry but has a tacky film over it. So I wetsanded a section with 1500 and it looked great, but it still leaves the impression of my fingerprint if I apply enough pressure. I did the same with 1200, 1000, and 800 grit. Still no luck. Has anyone else ever made this fuckup? Do I have to go all the way down to the base or can I wetsand the whole truck with 800 and reclear? Any help will be greatly appreciated. PS All of the "Interior guys should stay away from painting" comments can stay to yourselves. Ive heard them enough from all of my friends HAHA. Thanks guys
jrock   +1y
if i was in your situation i would wet sand with 400 and re-base and re-clear, you dont want to run that risk of not sanding enough then re-clearing it and then in the future you get solvent pop! it sucks but thats how u learn! good luck
tntmaz   +1y
i actually did the same thing years ago on a silver cavalier at work, your gonna have to get that all off.....when that thing gets warm in the sun it will soften up and chip/peel in no time.....its a mistake you'll make once but will never again...lol
wickedinsides   +1y
What is the best way to get it off? The sandpaper just seems to spread it around. And its kind of nice to hear Im not the only person who made this stupid mistake.
wymplo94   +1y
Extra virgin thinner and a shit load of rags.. Thats the easiest way. Just wipe it all off if you hardend the first coat u might get lucky and it will stop at the first coat. Most likely tho it never got to cure right with that reduced clear over it so you will have to most likely start all over...
sik_kreations   +1y
ur guna have to start over.. like recommend above ur guna have to wipe it all off.. its guna be a BIG mess. u do NOT! want to paint over this.. it will cause major headaches down the road.
Page 1 of 1