threads
Page 1 of 1
Body work and Paint \  How important is "made in the USA"?

How important is "made in the USA"?

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 466
replies 6
following 7

fochsml   +1y
When making a purchase, how important to you is "made in the USA"?

This could include any or all of the following:

* Where the product is manufactured * Where the parts for the product come from * Where the headquarters are (foreign vs. domestic) * Where the customer service people are located (i.e. call centers in other countries)

Thoughts? Does your opinion differ depending on the item purchased?

How about paint finishing equipment specifically (paint booth, spray guns, paint, etc.)?
Slappy Mc Nasty   +1y
well, this in a whole, we are slowly becomming a 3rd world country, people are struggling an losing everything they have at record rate and our men and women are fighting a losing war on many foriegn shores so at this point id say its all we have left. if we cannot start buying, creating or selling MADE IN AMERICA at a better rate, the rich will live their lifestyle, the poor will never get up and the middle class will continue to carry us in our countries "life". $0.50 candy bar from china
artsar   +1y
I think it all depends on the quality and price point. I will rather buy something Canadian (as I am Canadian) but if the price is double for the same thing then I don't care or if its the same price but its absolute trash than its not worth it. I don't think people should look only at where its made and think they need to buy due to that. They should be buying the best product for their dollar where ever that is made. Granted I am willing to pay a tad bit more for local product, but over all it should be close.

As for the economy thing I think this comment goes the same in Canada too. People want to live like a Prince but work like a Peasant. To many people get over paid for shitty work. The minimum wage here in Canada is 10.25 for an adult. Coming from someone who makes that, it is to much for the work I am expected to do. I think people need to get away from the whole I want to be rich by doing jack shit idea. Fixing that mentality has a lot of trickle down affect.
guiltybydesign   +1y
Ive had several forigen companies email me about wholesale accounts and i find myself not even looking into them. Some dont even send literature in english!
xgolferdude   +1y
Thats tough.. because I would love to only buy stuff thats made in america... but sometimes its hard to swallow and spend the extra money... but i really think it all has to do what it is.. would i buy a motorcycle frame from someone who i know tigwelded the whole thing together and the rake and trail is all set up right.. would i buy something when machining is involved from someone who is a professional machinist.. yes.. and Ill pay more for good work.. but thats a minority of stuff.. must stuff as much as I hate to say it kills me to say it i would rather save what little money i have and work my ass of for on most foreign products... the normal everyday stuff im talking about... Specialized items i think will be different... but hell there are fewer and fewer artisans out there who do this kind of stuff.... so all of those specialized items are fewer between.. It just goes back to the fact that for the most part america isnt a producing country like we were 50 years ago.... now we are consumers primarily... and that is the problem.... is it the chicken or the egg.... until we solve that problem it will continue to be a viscous cycle.... sorry im abad typer and speller but i hope that makes since...
shavedmax   +1y
the boundaries of where parts are made, then assembed, and where the company says theyre from has gotten very vague.

many foreign car makers make cars in the usa with US made parts.
meanwhile may us car makers make and assemble cars in canada and mexico (amung others)and claim to be made in the usa.

so who actually is 100% made in the usa?
on the contrary many products are 100% made in china.

fndraggin   +1y
Im american and a union worker so i try to buy as much USA products as possible. Its not always easy or cheap but its just my opinion. I can mach an exception sometimes when a product is based out of a foreign contry but made/assembled here, atleast some of my money will go to an american worker. If we all tried to live this way maybe we could help turn tis comsumer country back into a producing country.
Page 1 of 1