Page 1 of 1
Body work and Paint \  Your Paint Booth: Likes/Dislikes

Your Paint Booth: Likes/Dislikes

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 754
replies 9
following 4

fochsml   +1y
For those shop owners/employees, what kind of booth do you have? And what do you like/dislike about it? What maybe do you wish you had or could change about your current booth? Also, how did you decide on your current booth?

- Quality- Price- Specific features- Recommendation from a friend/someone in the business- Relationship with distributor- Company's reputation

In other words, what ultimately made you decide on that specific booth and from that manufacturer?

I'd love your feedback! Thanks!
slammedcivicsi   +1y
I have an older devilbiss, a Brand New Colmet, and a new Spray Tech.

I would stay away from the colmet, nothing but terrible customer service. 2 years later I still dont have my floor filter grates, and had to have some other ones made up. I have nothing but maintenance issues with the burner, and still fight with the self balancing aspect. As far as I know my shop was also the first in north america to get this booth, but regardless the customer service was terrible, both during and after install.

Spray Tech, awesome in every aspect. Minor flaws, the full filter floor is more of a farce. It doesnt draw 100% even. I would recommend this booth to anyone, but just get a standard floor filter, with 1 or 2 pits. Ours had filters over the whole floor, and not only is cost expensive to change them, its back breaking to lift up all the grates, and 70% of the filter gets unused, due to the baffles having holes in them, and only drawing in a specific pattern.

shavedmax   +1y
i have an older blowtherm and a 3-5 yr old USI prep deck. we use the prep deck as a booth, it just takes up less space and allows easier movement of production.

ultimatelty it depends on what you need the booth for. a small custom shop spraying a car or two a week is going to have different needs than a production shop pushing out 40 cars a week.
waterborne becoming the new standard is going to factor in to your purchase too.
fochsml   +1y
--------------------------------------------

slammedcivicsi said:

I have an older devilbiss, a Brand New Colmet, and a new Spray Tech.

I would stay away from the colmet, nothing but terrible customer service. 2 years later I still dont have my floor filter grates, and had to have some other ones made up. I have nothing but maintenance issues with the burner, and still fight with the self balancing aspect. As far as I know my shop was also the first in north america to get this booth, but regardless the customer service was terrible, both during and after install.

Spray Tech, awesome in every aspect. Minor flaws, the full filter floor is more of a farce. It doesnt draw 100% even. I would recommend this booth to anyone, but just get a standard floor filter, with 1 or 2 pits. Ours had filters over the whole floor, and not only is cost expensive to change them, its back breaking to lift up all the grates, and 70% of the filter gets unused, due to the baffles having holes in them, and only drawing in a specific pattern.

Thanks for your feedback! How is your older devilbiss? Also, what kind of booths do you have for each? Downdraft? Crossflow? Semi-down? Side-down? Have you had positive experience working with either other company?

Great advise about full filter flooring.

fochsml   +1y

shavedmax said:

i have an older blowtherm and a 3-5 yr old USI prep deck. we use the prep deck as a booth, it just takes up less space and allows easier movement of production.

ultimatelty it depends on what you need the booth for. a small custom shop spraying a car or two a week is going to have different needs than a production shop pushing out 40 cars a week. waterborne becoming the new standard is going to factor in to your purchase too.

Thanks for your feedback. Are you using your prep deck to completely refinish vehicles or just for spraying parts? Does it have walls and/or curtains? The 6H rule, which comes into effect on January 10, will require all spraying to be done in an enclosed environment that meets these standards.

shavedmax   +1y
Edited: 1/5/2011 6:59:23 PM by shavedmax

fochsml said:

shavedmax said:

ultimatelty it depends on what you need the booth for. a small custom shop spraying a car or two a week is going to have different needs than a production shop pushing out 40 cars a week. waterborne becoming the new standard is going to factor in to your purchase too.

Thanks for your feedback. Are you using your prep deck to completely refinish vehicles or just for spraying parts? Does it have walls and/or curtains? The 6H rule, which comes into effect on January 10, will require all spraying to be done in an enclosed environment that meets these standards.

the prep deck is being used as a booth. it has 2 walls and 2 curtains. i cant fit a booth where it is and need the flexibility of the curtain openings to move the cars around.

taken from the greenlink website:Spray Booths and/or Prep Stations MUST BE USED and Meet Set StandardsSpray booths or prep stations for complete motor vehicles or mobile equipment must:
sik_kreations   +1y

shavedmax said:

fochsml said:

shavedmax said:

the prep deck is being used as a booth. it has 2 walls and 2 curtains. i cant fit a booth where it is and need the flexibility of the curtain openings to move the cars around.

taken from the greenlink website:Spray Booths and/or Prep Stations MUST BE USED and Meet Set StandardsSpray booths or prep stations for complete motor vehicles or mobile equipment must:
fochsml   +1y

sik_kreations said:

shavedmax said:

fochsml said:

shavedmax said:

shavedmax   +1y

sik_kreations said:

shavedmax said:

fochsml said:

shavedmax said:

sik_kreations   +1y

shavedmax said:

sik_kreations said:

shavedmax said:

fochsml said:

shavedmax said:

Page 1 of 1