Page 1 of 1
Body work and Paint \  Chop Top Blazer

Chop Top Blazer

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 977
replies 7
following 7

ctcustoms24   +1y
Whats up guys? Im thinking of chopping the top on my 91 s-10 Blazer 2 door. I want to go at a minimum of 3 inches. Im comfortable with doing the metal fab. My question is about the glass. I know on an x-cab you can just tuck the glass but that is where my 20" wheel will be tucking. I live in Bossier City, Louisiana, is there any place near by that does custom glass? I have done a little research but come up empty handed. I would just cut it but I tried it on my 4 door parts truck and it just shattered. I assume Im dealing with tampered glass? Is there any other alternative other than custom glass? Sorry for it being so long, I just dont want to have to do the glass twice, trying to get the correct information so it is done correctly.
cookiemonster13   +1y
all the glass except the windshield is tempered and cannot be cut. the two options are making a sheet metal pattern and have new glass made or have someone cut the glass out of windshields. yes there are people who cut side glass out of windshields once they figure out the curvature needed. there is a place in CT that does it. there is kings auto glass ins sevierville TN who des windshields but i dont think he can do anything for curved side glass. kings does good work but he is old so he does not get in a hurry to do anything... good luck you are talking about major money no matter what to have custom curved glass made. better do alot of planning before you go down this road.
ctcustoms24   +1y
Thanks for the info. I figured it was going to be expensive. I just didnt know if there were alternatives. I had also thought of just tilting the windshield adn keeping stock door glass and making a new school panel. Everyone let me know what you think. Not sure if it would look right or not. If not luckily the Blazer only cost me $250
dB Zac   +1y
you can also try to find glass out of another car or truck or even a mixture of cars and or trucks. Also you can do a stock glass chop in the front and use donor glass out of another car or truck if you needed or wanted to
nissandoordragger   +1y
or you can go the cheap way out and do lexan but its not my liking because it scratches easy and looks cheap to me
draggin91   +1y
all glass on a truck or car is tempered. the difference in the windshield is that its called laminate glass (i work in a glass factory). which is 2 pieces of tempered glass which is held together by laminate in between them. thats why when it gets it it doesnt shatter it stays together. ive read that you can cut the windshield by using a sand blaster and taping off what you want to save multiple times and sand blasting the part you need cut. i did a google search awhile ago on this.
cookiemonster13   +1y
Cory is correct all the glass is tempered and i wrote my statement incorrectly. there are alot of ways to cut the windshield from snadblasting it, to cutting it, to sanding it.
puffys lowdime00   +1y
you can lay the windshied back 3in so you dont have to have it cut. thats what i did to mine
Page 1 of 1