threads
Page 1 of 1
Body work and Paint \  Paint and tape question?

Paint and tape question?

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 13561
replies 9
following 7

Cyrus   +1y
I am doing my first actual paint job this weekend. It is going to be two tone. Using Nason brand two stage system. My question is how long do I need to let the first color dry before I tape it off for the second color and then how long do I need to let the second color dry before I take the tape off to clear the whole car. I don't want to ruin a paint job because of tape issues. Thanks in advance.
zrdkustoms   +1y
You have alot of different factors, like temp and humidity but a good rule of thumb is 30 mins. So step 1 spray your first color with about 15 mins between coats, until you have full coverage. At full coverage one your first color, wait about 30 mins. after the last coat of paint, and you should be fine to start taping off for the two tone. After you have it all taped out and masked off repeat step 1 with your next color. Let dry about 30 mins. after your last coat of paint and un tape every thing, make sure everything is still masked up good so you dont have overspray and Clear.
BK2LIFE   +1y
its easier to call the paint store you bought the stuff from and tell them your doing a two-tone job and ask for the correct info from the manufacture.

being your using nason, a name i havent heard of in years, i have no experience with them to tell you what to do.

you can follow what zack said above, but also if hes never sprayed nason, what does he know?

do your self a favor and get a hood and do your paint test on it, paint it the two-tone you want with the tape and materials your going to use and see how it works out.

also get the blue fine line to separate the two colors. regular masking tape will bleed. unless your going to have it pinstriped.

i see your in miissisisissiisiiippppii so its probably pretty cold there, so unless your garage is heated, call the paint store and ask their recommendations- thats what they are paid for.
zrdkustoms   +1y
Nason is a cheaper line of Dupont, I am salesman for a local Dupont Jobber and sprayed Nason plenty of times. I agree with using a fine line tape, and I perfer the 3M blue tape as well. And here in "miissisisissiisiiippppii" it's still like 80 degrees during the day so he should be good.
Cyrus   +1y
All right guys, I appreciate it. I'll post pictures of the final product. Thanks for the suggestion on the fine line tape too.
Cyrus   +1y
This is what I am painting, 77 Nova.
post photo
post photo
sik_kreations   +1y
nason falls under the cheap converted enamel basecoat like omni, limco, etc.

it also takes a lot longer to dry before taping. it is also takes an activator, so that makes it lame in taping situations. there is a window before having to resand and reshoot, not like with an unactivated base.

plus if ur shooting a metallic or pearl, u need to put a intercoat clear or clear basecoat over it. so ask for clear binder.

i would wait atleast an hour if not 2-3 depending on temp and airflow. do a test panel. shoot the weaker covering base first. i try to plan graphics to where i shoot the color that would have the most build on an edge in a taped situation. for example i try to shoot black last since i can get almost no edge. and i will shoot a tough metallic or weak color first, that way its down.

i use blue fineline for a non pinstriped color break. but i use it in caution. it will move on u in corners and pull up easier then crepe(paper fineline). but mostly for graphics i use 3m 233+ green 1/8 inch tape. its about a 1/3 cheaper then the blue variety.

let us know how it works out!

tlw32882   +1y
what is the process after putting the intercoat/clear base coat? Would there be any sanding that needed to be done? Can I put the intercoat/clear base just where the tape line is or does the whole thing have to be sprayed? I think I know the answers but I am not 100% clear.
drag4life09   +1y
--------------------------------------------

sik_kreations said:

nason falls under the cheap converted enamel basecoat like omni, limco, etc.

it also takes a lot longer to dry before taping. it is also takes an activator, so that makes it lame in taping situations. there is a window before having to resand and reshoot, not like with an unactivated base.

plus if ur shooting a metallic or pearl, u need to put a intercoat clear or clear basecoat over it. so ask for clear binder.

i would wait atleast an hour if not 2-3 depending on temp and airflow. do a test panel. shoot the weaker covering base first. i try to plan graphics to where i shoot the color that would have the most build on an edge in a taped situation. for example i try to shoot black last since i can get almost no edge. and i will shoot a tough metallic or weak color first, that way its down.

i use blue fineline for a non pinstriped color break. but i use it in caution. it will move on u in corners and pull up easier then crepe(paper fineline). but mostly for graphics i use 3m 233+ green 1/8 inch tape. its about a 1/3 cheaper then the blue variety.

let us know how it works out!

--------------------------------------------

he is right on all of this! grab a tech doc from your rep/supplier on the window you also want to get your clear on before the window expires or you may run into adhesion problems later on down the road. if your doing a two-tone with nason you'll be fine without and intercoat of clear but def let it flash a while. if your doing graphics i advise an un-activated base coat (better paint) but if you wanna save money on the main color when doing graphics base and clear it wet-sand the clear and start the graphics. and the green 3M tape it the bomb! once both colors and your stripe(if you do 1) are done and flashed really well take some of regular 3/4 tape over the entire point of the two-tone(tape to it lightly) where it splits before tacking this will help eliminate the hard pressed dirt/loose paint your tape edges can give ya that the tack rags wont get sometimes that make you stripe/split look like it has alot of dirt when you clear. if your using nason clear use the 465-00 good luck post the pic when its done!
Cyrus   +1y
I finished up that car and got it back together, it came out pretty good for a first time paint job. I have to say from start to finish that is a job. I have a new respect for people who paint cars for a living. By the time I got completely done, I was wore out. The customer was super happy with it though.
post photo
post photo
post photo
Page 1 of 1