threads
Page 2 of 3
Audio/Video \  installing ipod only, no head unit, ????

installing ipod only, no head unit, ????

Audio/Video Q & A
views 3919
replies 26
following 19

msturg   +1y
that cable from ebay is very cool, I'll have to keep that in mind. I've thought of doing something like this before but I've always been afraid of the signal noise.

for those that have actually been running the setup, you notice much in the way of distortion? Do you have a full system with subs?
draggincaddy   +1y
Edited: 10/14/2010 12:24:33 PM by fiveinchbodydrop

only problem i have on mine ( and its my own fault) i get a pop when my comps shut off. i have the power wire for my amp tied into my solenoid for the comps. i was being a bit lazy, need to run my amp wire to the batt.

other than that its perfectly clear, i have 2 mb quart 6x9's on a 50x4 soundstream... need to install my 6.5 components one dayalso odnt forget to turn the volume down, i listen to my head phones way to loud and i'll forget and plug the cable in, hit play, and scare the shit outta myself!
bukfidy   +1y
Best way is to run it into an eq then that will clear and amplify your signal to your amps.
Slappy Mc Nasty   +1y
on this install, i just want to have something to listen to when im not draggin or at stop lights listening to the all mighty 2.2 humm. a simple ipod+lil amp+2 lil speakers will surfice, no huge woofers, eq's or monster amps.
the last truck i built had two 15's, 3,600 watts and rediculous bass. im over that now. i am pricing and getting stuff ready + ordered. cant thank you all enough, its nice to have knowledge from everywhere
still_2_hi   +1y
i have just an ipod in my truck with a 10" sub and a set of component speakers. I had to use a line driver because the ipod didnt have enough output it was really quiet. So the cable goes into the line driver and then out into the amp
FADE2BLK94   +1y
I have the same setup in mine ipod hooked straight to a 4 channel amp 75wX2 to the components in the doors and the other two channel bridged to 150x1 running two 8's behind the seats. Remote wire is hooked to the ignition switch so the amp powers on with the ignition.
Slappy Mc Nasty   +1y
so i have found that the only place i can get one of these little boxes or "amps" is hong kong or china and by the time i buy the ipod itself, the wiring, the amp and the speakers im in this set-up easily over $200. i really thought it would be cheaper than a "normal" set-up. really starting to debat cutting a hole in the fiberglass dash and installing a standard deck and going that route
dwn2erths10   +1y
i dont know if this has been mentioned but I would recommend you run it into some sort of sound processing before going into the amp itself, like an eq or a dsp. Your ipod or mp3 player is only gonna put out fractions of a volt to go into the amp. Even cheaper head units have 1.3, or 2.7 volts on the rca preouts. if you run it through an in dash 1/2 din eq for example you should be getting anywhere from 5 - 10 volts going into your amp, and will also give you the ability to adjust different frequencies to your musical taste. If you have a head unit now and are taking it out in favor of just an ipod you are going to notice that it will not have the volume that your headunit had. Now if youre just looking for someway to put music in the vehicle and arent concerned with sound quality and tuning the system like you want it then by all means yes it will work and work well.
draggincaddy   +1y
i dont believe thats accurate... pretty sure ive read that my ipod touch pushed out 2 volts. im sure the others are the same. i have 2 6x9's on a small amp and they are just as loud as any other similar set-up ive had.

did a quick search...
http://beavishifi.com/articles/headphonejack/

waynehammer   +1y
my stereo gets stolen all the time so i said eff it and went the ipod route. i have a 100 watt and and four 5 1/4 round speakers. i just hooked up the amp like normal and just got the ipod adapter and plugged it into the amp. works great and sounds pretty good too. and im only running a old ipod nano. theres no problem with power and it not being lound enough. you dont need to buy all kinds of crazy shit to make it work. i got everything from scosche. and it ran me about 150 bucks