threads
Page 1 of 3
Audio/Video \  installing ipod only, no head unit, ????

installing ipod only, no head unit, ????

Audio/Video Q & A
views 3906
replies 26
following 19

Slappy Mc Nasty   +1y
can this be done without many, many boxes, converters or modulators? i know you can get one to work with a head unit pretty easily but can i just have an ipod and maybe two 4-1/2" or 6" just to break up the road noise on the way to shows? i have a little double "AA" docking station that i have tried a few times but it doesnt have enough volume (almost like its just a set of headphones laying on the dash). im looking for anything stereo gurus might have hard about, used or read about. installing a head unit is not feezable.
///DragBdy   +1y
i did that in my truck..... here's a link to something similar that i used. i'm using an ipod as a head unit running 2 6x9's

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-USB-Stereo-Power-Amp-Amplifier-Car-Boat-DB3-/180571222914?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item2a0ae23382
bukfidy   +1y
You can plug your ipod directly into an amp with an aux cord( get them at radio shack for like 6 bucks...they have the headphone jack on one end and rca's on the other), then your ipod would be your headunit, control volume and everything.
milenk0   +1y
gotta run an amp for all the speakers too...
a 4 channel for speakers and a mono block for subs
or a nice 5 channel
milenk0   +1y
Edited: 10/13/2010 7:07:03 PM by milenk0

holy double post batman
DougyFrisch   +1y
--------------------------------------------

RARA said:

what bukfidy said. I just did an install in a car like that. This is what I used http://cgi.ebay.com/IC-RCA2-PAC-AUDIO-iPOD-iPHONE-to-RCA-CHARGES-VIA-5VOLTS_W0QQitemZ400027107376QQcategoryZ32838QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5008609454507069430

Nice thing about it also charges you Ipod worked out great

Seriously, that is bad ass... I'm in the same boat and don't really have anyplace for a head unit but all i want is to listen to Pandora on my iPhone. So what power hookup do you use for this? and does it charge AND playback from your ipod via the usb port?
RARA   +1y
Ive been running this type of setup for years in my stepside. I have a nesa dvd player under the seat with 2 aux imputs one is for my Ipod and the other is for my xm
idrgbdy   +1y
Now I know how my audio setup is gonna be! Thanks for the info!
jumbo   +1y

bukfidy said:

You can plug your ipod directly into an amp with an aux cord( get them at radio shack for like 6 bucks...they have the headphone jack on one end and rca's on the other), then your ipod would be your headunit, control volume and everything.

Yup, what he said. I saw it done on Overhaulin, and i'm probably going to end up having to do it for the burb. for a little while at least.