Page 1 of 2
Body work and Paint \  cut after clear

cut after clear

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 1072
replies 13
following 11

devilx   +1y
how long after clearing should i wait before i start the cut and polish process? I've done it a couple of days after clear and it has a fog look to it. I once heard it should be done a week afterwards. thanks in advance for any help.
Crazythingsido2   +1y
did you bake the car or let it air dry?
nissandoordragger   +1y
if i bake a car i do it the next day if air dry ill wa`it 2 days
KEEF   +1y
when i have plenty of time i like to let em sit a few days then cut it with 1500, let it sit open for a day then proceed with 2500 and 3000 then buff er out.....last couple ive had to cut and buff a few days after and it works just not quite as slick to me as the way i described
devilx   +1y
air dry. i really don't have the means to bake.
maz2low   +1y
Clearcoat quality also plays a big part for dieback. What kind?

Since your in no rush, wait a week, wet sand with 1200-1500. I then step up to 2000 grit final sanding with Trizact P3000 which leaves car with a polished look, buffing her out after that.
devilx   +1y
i was trying to use that duplicolor paint system but i found out that it's not all that great
low99maz   +1y
the fog ur getting is because of the clear itself not because of how long you delayed before sanding.....
BK2LIFE   +1y
i usaully cut the next day, depending on temps.. here in az over 100 degrees almost everyday, its almost like baking it.

but it depends on the color as to what i cut it with. black or dark, i use 1000. then ill let them sit for another day or so. then 1200-1500-2000 then buff.

but apprx 6 months down the road ill re cut it with 2000 and buff again.

and yes the foggy look is not how long its been sitting or not, it sounds like bad clear.

nc dragger   +1y
Yep duplicolor clear sucks . I work for a parts store and have had many dealings with this, paint super nice- clear stay away from.