Page 1 of 1
Body work and Paint \  Spray gun issue

Spray gun issue

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 391
replies 3
following 4

92LOWYOTA   +1y
This might be a stupid question but I am having a issue with my GTI Devilbiss HVLP gun. I just sprayed my primer and it sprayed extremely dry and gritty, luckly it wetsanded out. It was like I was spraying with to much pressure. I was running 20-25 psi of pressure, according to my devilbiss gauge/adjuster on the gun. I am not sure if I am running to much inlet pressure before the gauge, running line pressure 100psi. I have a wall mounted inline sharpe filter as well. I have sprayed one other vehicle with this setup and some motorcycle parts and didn't have this issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Just trying to figure this issue out before I spray the base and clear.
corey0814   +1y
too much hardner or too fast of hardner it sounds like to me. if not that, then not enough reducer? dounds like a dryout issue...not the gun, but as with anything with paint, there's a million variables.

Kuperw   +1y
Which tip size are you using on the gun? What type and brand of primer are you using? What is the pressure on the gauge at the bottom of the gun when you are actually pulling the trigger and spraying air? How close to the panel is the tip of the gun when you are spraying? The texture is really fine and dull, not big and lumpy right?

Most likely either you have too small of a fluid tip for how thick the primer was, you weren't close enough to the panel or going slow enough, or maybe an air pressure issue.

Also, how big of an area are you spraying (just a part or a whole car)? What kind of air compressor are you using?
shpaint1   +1y
Corey nailed it man, to dry. what size air cap and nozzle you got in there? for primer i use a 1.6 with a 100 air cap in mine. at some point in time you should really get yer self a good primer gun man, not only is using the same gun for every thing bad, the GTi is not know for its priming ability's, it just cant move that think of materials very well.
Page 1 of 1