Page 1 of 2
Body work and Paint \  Side Swinging Tailgate

Side Swinging Tailgate

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 6057
replies 15
following 9

dakotahq   +1y
I'm really wanting to run a side swing gate on my truck, but I've got a dilemma. I've only ever seen one truck with the side gate and stock tail lights, and I couldn't see the hinges. I want to keep my stock tail lights and run the side gate. Any ideas?
Slappy Mc Nasty   +1y
i have never seen any with stocks man. i studied it for about 5 months and finally found out i had to shave the tails on my s10. that was with the smallest/strongest hinges i could find.
dakotahq   +1y
--------------------------------------------

Slappy Mc Nasty said:

i have never seen any with stocks man. i studied it for about 5 months and finally found out i had to shave the tails on my s10. that was with the smallest/strongest hinges i could find.

That's what I was thinking...but then I saw this.

post photo
dakotahq   +1y
Has no one ever done this? I just want to know all options. Even if you've done it with shaved tail lights, i'd like to see what you did.
Slappy Mc Nasty   +1y
Edited: 9/8/2010 6:49:54 AM by Slappy Mc Nasty

heres a few i found for ya man. the last 2 pics are my old truck but i cannot find the build up pics. must have been in my last computer and it crashed.

post photo
post photo
burntup   +1y
what kind of hindges and latches are you using?
lovetigger88   +1y
you should look in to 94-96 chevy caprice wagon tail gate hinges they are small and have two seperate hinge points so you can drop it like a truck tail gate and it side swings, very strong hinges and those wagons are very common at most junk yards.. good luck
Slappy Mc Nasty   +1y

Burntup said:

what kind of hindges and latches are you using?

i hit a junkyard and found some just like these only they were on an old jeep mailtruck looking thing. almost no modifying to them and they are strong, about 1/4" thick. i just drilled a few holes to match the hinges and used grade 8 bolts for looks and piece of mind

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-1968-1969-1970-1971-72-FORD-TRUCK-LEFT-DOOR-HINGE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem255d4062eaQQitemZ160478290666QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
e10pvmt   +1y
You should call Anthony @ RAW 407-320-7388.....he did the one on dave's f150 in the pics above and also did one on a dodge dakota. Give him a shout and see if he can help you
dakotahq   +1y
Thanks for the info guys...now I've seen two trucks with stock lights and a side swing, so I know it can be done...just got to figure out how they did it.