Page 1 of 2
Hydraulic Suspensions \  Putting Hydraulics on a Dodge Neon

Putting Hydraulics on a Dodge Neon

Hydraulic Suspensions Q & A
views 1453
replies 16
following 11

Mopar4life   +1y
ok I am looking into putting hydraulics on my 04 Dodge Neon. I have been following all the build up post from you guys out there and looking at your systems.  Also I have a friend out here that has Hydros on his Altima.

My first question is does anyone out there have experiance putting a system on a car like mine?  Second question I have is my friend with the Altima has coils around the stroke.  But all the systems I seeing posted on here doesn't have them.  He was told by the guys out here that installed it that he needed them.  Do I really need them?

artsar   +1y

I don't know anything specific about your struts so I can't help you there. As for your coil question. No you do not need springs. You run an accumulator on the cylinder (usually off the dump or somewhere similar) and it will act as your spring. I have them in my car and it rides so nice. I feel less bumps now then I did with air and I occasionally run completely dumped which I never did on air. I'd suggest looking into a 1/5 kit from hydroholics. I have a 2/4 that I got used locally and if I could go back I'd go 100% hydroholics. Great customer service.
Mopar4life   +1y

I was thinking going with a 2/4 kit cause thats what people have suggested.  Why would you do a 1/5 instead of the 2/4?
artsar   +1y

just more compact of a set up. I don't mind my 2/4 but i also don't have a trunk anymore. That was done by my choosing and specific install, but with a 1/5 you can get it in the tire well and hide it away. Not saying you can't do it with a 2/4 but theres just more stuff so it may be more difficult.
Mopar4life   +1y

ok I see what you are saying.  I believe your strut setup is similar to mine.  Do you have your strokes going up or down? 
LAID TL   +1y

im running a 2/6 set up from Hydroholics on my 07 Acura TL and i have my entire trunk ...... everything but batteries is in the tirewell .....
LAID TL   +1y

post photo
artsar   +1y

LAID TL you have a much bigger tire well then I do. Mine wasn't deep enough for everything. Well at the time it wasn't maybe now it would be a different story with the things I know.

Mopar4life. My front cylinders stroke up and the rears stroke down. If I'm not mistaken the cylinders work best or "should" stroke down, but on a mac struted car that would be rather difficult.

tre5   +1y

A dodge neon is Macpherson strut all around, if I remember correctly. I usually fit the entire setup in the spare tire well because that is where most people want them. I have mounted them off to the side or against the back seat in order to keep the spare tire in its place. either a 1-5 or 2-4 will work perfectly for the car. There are  different benifits to each. The cylinders would need to be mounted upside down, and you do not want to run springs. Use accumulators.Check out www.Tre5Customs.com for a bunch of pics of the setups I have done.
Mopar4life   +1y

Jeremy I have looked all around Hydroholics website for the brackets I need because of the Macpherson struts.  Is that something you make or can I buy those brackets from you?  I don't care if I lose the spare tire