threads
Page 1 of 2
Body work and Paint \  clear coating bare metal..

clear coating bare metal..

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 3274
replies 12
following 10

getto   +1y
hey i need some , any, imput on this..i am told straight clear will turn yellow....???? thinking of doing this because i just got a new truck and its down to bare and he hand sanded it with 80 grit and all the sand lines are straight and i like the way it looks was wondering how to go about this...i was gonna flake the roof and do flake scallops and leave the rest bare
BK2LIFE   +1y
get good clear, it wont turn yellow.   clean it with wax and grease remover, and spray it.    
nissandoordragger   +1y

you can not clear bare steel it WILL delaminate you have to have somekind of etch lock or epoxy primer on it to stick the only way to keep it bare metal for a long time is to wd40 it alot and frequently
shpaint1   +1y
clearing bare metal will not work. end of story, it will  delaminate and rust. And a good clear will not turn yellow as was said
nissandoordragger   +1y

maybe try clear powder coating then you can sand it flake and kandy what you want then reclear over it
sik_kreations   +1y

the problem is keeping the metal clean, its hit and miss. ive seen motorcycle paint sets that were done 10 years ago as a production run for a bike company, cleared over bare metal. and it worked. but ive seen it fail.   it sticks pretty damn good, it only seems to delam if it fails. but not when it works.
DeepSouthS10   +1y

anyone ever use this? http://www.por15.com/GLISTEN-PC/productinfo/GPCGG/ I have had it bookmarked on my computer and been thinking about using it on my frame. POR also offers a clear version of their POR 15, which i also thought about using.

Kuperw   +1y
The Glisten PC is specifically designed to clearcoat over bare metal. They recommend the AP120 metal prep (which i have heard is just a special type of cleaner, not an etch). I also talked to House of Kolor for a guy a couple of years ago and they recommended their AP01 on the bare clean metal, then he did a candy and clear over a machined finish. But otherwise most clearcoats are not designed to go over bare steel and will likely delam.
shpaint1   +1y
kuprew and others he glisten PC and the clear por will work, it is how ever very cloudy and not a true water clear, its also VERY hard. what that means to us is it chips like no ones business, and as soon as a chip or fracture happens you get water under it and .............well you can guess the rest. i have seriously tried almost every combo under the sun to get this effect to work for a every day driver, but it just wont. we even had a set of tins clear powder coated, wet sanded them and candied it then shot PPG's 2002 over it, to know avail, it lasted about 2 seasons and went to hell. Mt. hood chemical was working towards a water clear metal etch for us, and it worked over bare metal great, but every where there was a seam that was welded or soldered it turned black. once i get moved i will bring this back to the table and maybe can get it figured out.
BK2LIFE   +1y
wes datsun has been cleared for years.