Page 2 of 3
General Discussion \  Need some cummins twin turbo help

Need some cummins twin turbo help

General Discussion
views 5982
replies 26
following 7

jeffs_tonka-toy   +1y
I know ill need an air filter for the turbo, but does everything else look to be there?

thread post photo
luv2xclr8   +1y
No expert on CD but it looks all there, where
are the rest of the pictures? (Looks wicked)
jeffs_tonka-toy   +1y
heres one of the truck, its a rough start, but in the end should be worth it, im just wondering if ill be able to daily drive it.

thread post photo
big bear   +1y
thats just baaaaaddd dude !! love it.
jeffs_tonka-toy   +1y
It also has a 5" eshaust that dumps out right behind the front wheel, taht would change if i take ownership of course!
low95xlt   +1y
looks like a helluva project i like it though
hells gate   +1y
I would say 350-400 horse would be a pretty conservative number on power for that engine if its built by anyone with any decent sense at all.

I just sold a 2wd '96 Dodge dually that had Bosch 230 HP Injectors, Industrial Injection compound twin setup off a newer model adapted to work, full cut delivery valves, factory '98 12 valve injection pump slightly retimed, 4K gov springs, marine head with factory cam, FASS fuel setup, and factory pistons. Dyno'd at 621 horse at 2700'ish rpm and 1450'ish torque at 2150'ish rpm.

To be honest with a diesel its always hard to tell your weak link... because everything is a weak link. 17:1 to 21:1 compression ratio with 40-100 pounds of boost is painful to everything. Add 1500 foot pounds of torque to that equation and its all a ticking timebomb.

Rear end, input shaft in the tranny, tranny convertor, tranny clutch pack, head gaskets, holes in pistons, truck frame that was never designed to handle 1/4 of that torque, melted pistons from egt's, (altho with the twins that will be more difficult).

I would probably be more concerned with the transmission than the rear end for now. One guy's "built" in his add to sell his truck dosent mean squat normally. Goerend Brothers in my opinion are the automatic tranny gods when it comes to diesels. Those are BUILT trannys.

~Terry
jeffs_tonka-toy   +1y
I definatley wont be dogin on it, It will be my daily if i do get it.

Ill also most likely fix it up while im drving it.

As far as the tranny goes, ill probly end up swapping it out for a different one that can handle that much tourque from the factory, or get one built(i know a really good tranny guru)

I doubt ill like the twin turbo setup that much, would it be that hard(besides piping) to go back to single turbo?

Jeff.
hells gate   +1y
Nah not to hard at all to switch back to single. Let me tell ya tho, twins are the bee's knees on the street due to the way they keep egt's low. Only way to go especially if you ever want to put a trailer behind it.

The 12 valve I'm building for my street Chevy dually will most definately have twins on it if for no reason other than lower egt's and nice quick, smooth spooling.

~Terry
jeffs_tonka-toy   +1y
what are egts??? i have no experience with turbos, and i doubt much of anything will get hauled with it, the most ive ever hauled with the dually was a couch set,lol