Page 1 of 1
Body work and Paint \  3M dynamic mixing system

3M dynamic mixing system

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 393
replies 5
following 5

Inked84   +1y
anyone out there using this sytem? we just started this week using it at the street rod shop that i work at. and i have already had to grind out filler because it didnt mix any hardener with it, wasted one half of one tube because the hardener was clogged and had one tube not mix  real well and the filler was streaky with hardener when it was spread. i am wonderign if any of you have had some of these problems.
tuckinlugs06   +1y

yeah i seen the thing on gears looks cool but it is  is way over priced
crazygenius13   +1y
I have a friend that owns a body shop, and they use this almost exclusively, and he swears by it. I don't know much about it, but as far as I know, you need to use 3M's own filler, which is probably real expensive. You save money cuz you only use  exactly what you need, and time cux you can just squirt it on the panel, and only clean your spreader, but you could probably save as much by using a slightly less expensive filler.    Unsure tho, since I haven't used it myself. I remember people saying about the same for the PPS system when that sort of thing started taking off... and I can't see myself working in a production paint shop without it now! 
drag4life09   +1y
I am a salesman for a jobber store and i haven't sold that many of them. I am always busting the 3m reps balls because some stuff is great but some of it sucks. most people know by now that 3m bought bondo and marson products. when he showed me this before it came out I said so you just put bondo in tubes to dispense since you bought them out right? He looked at me funny and said no its not bondo! I was like yea right! honeslty the shops i have that do use it mostly only use the skim coat because it comes in handy when u need galze putty. I dont think its a good tool for spreading alot of filler. Being that you work in a hotrod shop stick to what u know works! the latest and greatest is cool to have but dosent always work out for every shop. Next time your salesman comes around to sell an item like that try to get one to demo for a week or two before spending the money on one. Make sure you purge that thing good though next time you use it. It has to make a good pass through the nozzle before its mixed good. If you get a bad tube contact your supplier you bought it from they should refund and give you a new one. Make sure your supplier sells alot of these if not your gonna get alot of bad tubes because it just sits in the store and the self life expires.
tuckinlugs06   +1y

id love to have one for when i need some filler for fiberglass or body work but since im not a buisness it would never pay for it self...
Inked84   +1y

we did demo one for a few days, and ur right about using it when u need to spread a lot of filler we spread about 6 gallons on an rv we were workin on. i know what u think an rv in a street rod shop but its a mid 80s rv that we cut the cab off of and fit in a 49 ford ton truck cab into it.  we did this a couple of years ago and we gave it back to the customer to drive for a while to make sure nothing cracked out or whatever and now its back for a body line and to smooth out the fiberglass shell of the camper part.  the tool will save so much time over the standard way of mixing and spreading filler with one guy putting the filler on the truck and one guy spreading it out with a drywall knife it saved us probably 5 hours over this week that we would have spent mixing filler, cleaning spreaders and getting a clean board to mix the filler on. the thing that i like the most about it is there are no pinholes in the filler work because theres no air introduced until its being spread onto the car which is minimal so if you spread it and sand it correctly you shouldnt need any glaze or icing or whatever you use.  about the filler itself, what we got was the yellow filler which is a lot harder than say evercoat z-grip which is what we normally use therefore it doesnt sand as good in my opinion.  all in all what we paid for the system it already paid for atleast half of itself in this week alone.

Page 1 of 1