Body work and Paint \  R.I.P. Larry Watson

R.I.P. Larry Watson

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 351
replies 8
following 8

CultureCreature   +1y
Edited: 7/20/2010 5:12:06 PM by CultureCreature

I was told this morning that paint great Larry Watson passed away this morning.  He was diagnosed with cancer recently, but it was just too late.  I talked to a friend of mine who has been friends with Larry since the early days of Kustoms.  He told me that the cancer was throughout Larry's body and that it was too much to handle.  He passed at 3am next to his wife.  Anyhow, if figured all you guys who hold a spray gun and those who have ever taped off a graphic would appreciate the man he was both in person and to the paint world.  I am just happy I had the chance to get to know him a bit.

Godspeed Larry.  Hope the heavens are Kandied! 
shpaint1   +1y
it truly is a loss, Larry along with a select few others really are the founders of the custom paint industry, he was way ahead of his time. some of the cleanest scallops ever done came out of his shop
Bush   +1y

What a bummer.  That guy is responsible for the paint on many a timeless custom.  and the monster garage where they built that chevy and he painted it, still one of the greatest hours of television ive ever seen
DropEmWear   +1y

---------------------------------------------Originally posted by BushWhat a bummer.  That guy is responsible for the paint on many a timeless custom.  and the monster garage where they built that chevy and he painted it, still one of the greatest hours of television ive ever seen---------------------------------------------totally agreed! best group of guys to ever build together. he deff mastered the fade job!!!!
CultureCreature   +1y
Don't forget his handywork with scallops and striping either.  And lastly, he is responsible for paint on MANY MANY movie cars... including both Gone in 60 Seconds... he is also noted for creating two tone paint jobs so on car can be used in two scenes as two cars... one side painted different.  He also acted.  He is a legend and his mark will live forever throughout the custom world.
sik_kreations   +1y
Edited: 7/21/2010 1:42:05 AM by sik_kreations

rip.     an innovator in custom paint. a legend that wont be forgotten, watson... the master of scallops and panel painting. he was the master at lacquer. he totally hated urethanes. im glad i got to hang with him a little a few m onths back at a pinstriper friend of his open house/panel jam.

sik_kreations   +1y

---------------------------------------------Originally posted by BushWhat a bummer.  That guy is responsible for the paint on many a timeless custom.  and the monster garage where they built that chevy and he painted it, still one of the greatest hours of television ive ever seen---------------------------------------------gene winfield painted it and did the fade. thats whos known for doing fades like that.
Bush   +1y
well hell, its been so many years since ive seen it, i transposed a couple legends in my head
SSM-BobHase   +1y
I know I always date myself but I have sit in a room with Larry, Barris and Roth and listened to them tell there stories and some things that they built they would like to forget. Roth told Larry and Barris about the cars he hated so much that he cut them in half and threw them in the dumpster in Maywood. Larry was a great guy and loved to paint I know I will miss those old days at the shop listening to the stories and seeing the planning if some of the baddest hot rods ever built. R.I.P. Larry
Page 1 of 1