Page 1 of 3
Hydraulic Suspensions \  Rear Cylinder Location

Rear Cylinder Location

Hydraulic Suspensions Q & A
views 1079
replies 24
following 10

artsar   +1y
So this is my last post of the month and I am hoping that you guys can give me some help.

To set the stage. I am swapping my air ride to hydros on my 2005 Saturn Ion Sedan. I had Mindliss Metal fab me up the rear swing arm (needs final welding and what not) and some brackets to bolt my hydros to the swing arm and use the old shock location for the cylinder. Well I didn't measure very well and seeing as I ordered a bunch of one off custom parts there were a few issues. First the bracket that holds the cylinder is to big and its location is wrong, this was my fault and now the bracket hits the rims. Also if I just got a new bracket fabbed up the cylinder still would be to high in the spot and would not allow the car to go lower then it already is. If thats not bar enough the cylinder doesn't really have the clearance.

SO I was thinking of running the cylinder on the back of the wheel, so similar to where the bags are on a 6 link. I know that I will loose lift but theres not much I can do. Also since it is in this location the cylinder may end up almost horizontal when compressed and as it extends would be at about a 45* angel.

Heres a very basic rendering of what I mean.
Lifted

Lowered

I am looking for safety concerns more then a "you will lose lift" since I already know that. Also I was planning to have a plate fabbed up to brace the trunk floor and have it gussted to the sub frame. This plate would be the point the cylinder would push against.

Any comments? Also remember I can't post again until Febuary so any help without a responce would be great.

Secondly I'm a university student so this build has already broken the bank. Thanks
artsar   +1y

Screw it I Upgraded my account, finally paying my dues after surfing this forum for years. I also forgot to mention that I only plan to have front up/down back up/down and then each front dump. The rear axel is semi independent so hitting sides is not realy going to happen.
TwistedMinis   +1y
If it goes completely horizontal, or too close to it, it won't lift your car. It will just bind, and enough pressure in the cylinder will break something in that position.
artsar   +1y

thats what I figured, so at full drop if it sat at something like 20* and then pushed it would be better? For instance. It would be set a bit father inward so it would be in the recess between the trunk pan and the sub frame. I figure a thick enough plate so it has something to press against should be alright. Are there any other solutions? I really don't have the tools to put it infront of the wheels.From the position in the picture I only want to go down about 2 more inches. The cylinders will probobly not be threaded that far though. Its just a general idea for what makes sence.
post photo
artsar   +1y

any comments on a set up like this?  I need to get this figured out so I can get the install finished and running.
TwistedMinis   +1y
Yes if it's at a 20 degree angle it will lift up. There will be a little bit of resistance down low which generally translates to the suspension taking a bit more force to move it, but that setup isn't going to break anything.
artsar   +1y
---------------------------------------------Originally posted by TwistedMinisYes if it's at a 20 degree angle it will lift up. There will be a little bit of resistance down low which generally translates to the suspension taking a bit more force to move it, but that setup isn't going to break anything.---------------------------------------------THats what I figured. Anyone else have an opinion? like i said its not the exact way it will go in. But its similar. Anyone else see any concerns with this set up?
artsar   +1y

Bump. Its a unibody so plating the trunk floor and gusseting it to the subframe will be a strong enough mount point right? All plating will be done with 1/4" steel.
artsar   +1y

I'm presuming that the lack of responces other than Seth, would suggest that I'm not a complete idiot. I think I am going to mount the cylinders behind the "axel" but on an angel and just plate the trunk floor and gusset it to the sub frame to provide a mounting point for the cylinder. Again I ask, if this seems completely insane for someone to tell me so, if not I figure its good to go since the plating and gusseting will make the location just as strong if not stronger the a bracket off the subframe.
AON-OFFDAHOOK   +1y

Hey Adam...be careful with mounting the cylinders at an angle like that, you don't want any binding of the cylinder.  The thing that makes the most sense to me is to have teh cylinder mount up-right (stroke down, fitting up) to where the sleeve mounts to the subframe, it bolts the heim to the lower shock mount and the cylinder comes through the floor.  I know your pump mount is in the way, that can be changed and the placement of the cylinder being proper takes precedent.   You have one of the trickiest car suspensions I've seen so I can sense your frustration and the challenge involved.