threads
Page 1 of 3
Ask A Pro \  heims vs poly bushings vs super pivots vs jimmy joints for a ranger

heims vs poly bushings vs super pivots vs jimmy joints for a ranger

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 2412
replies 27
following 11

automatik23   +1y
ok so as some of you know im building a square body ranger rockered on 20s and i beams( im not going to clip the front end). My question for you Max is what type of  end should i run on the end of the i beam. DJM sells the beams with a typical poly bushing on the end of it for vertical travel of the suspension, however, with as much suspension travel as im getting the i beam actually rotates back towards the firewall so i think it may bend or snap the bolt because of how much it is binding...ive looked into heims but quite a few people have said not to use them so then i looked into super pivots from suicidedoors.com and they are too wide by about .5" and im not able to change the mounting width so thats out of the question also...i found something called jimmy joints from Summit Machine that have the correct mounting width( 2.0") but also will allow for the beams to articulate towards the firewall. do you think they  would they work if i was to have a set of  bungs  made by a machine shop to fit inside the beam and then i can thread the jimmy joint into the beam? or is there another way that you know of that would solve my problem? because these damn jimmy joints are kind of expensive and the jimmy joint just looks like a heim with misalignment spaces attached to it instead of being seperate pieces......below is the link to the jimmy joint if that helps at all...

http://www.summitmachine.com/store/index.php/small-jimmy-joint.html
pugz   +1y
wow those are really high for that size joint.  check out www.ballisticfabrication.com they have some bad ass ends and joint for much better pricing. mine are 1/2 that price up there and are much bigger......... might be a lil overkill for a mini but owell....   
post photo
automatik23   +1y

ive looked into ballistic before, thanks for the input tho, how wide is the mounting width on those though? and what was the price for em?
tre5   +1y

so what is wrong with just using heims? That is what I would do for the radius arms. For the beams I would use a uniball. Depending on what year ranger you have, some of them are weldable, so you could just push the bushing out and weld in the uniball cup and be done.
pugz   +1y
i dont know what the mounting width is on mine. and they are a few states away with my truck so i can measure. they ran me 50 each after upgrading the nylon races to the billet ones.  for your application i think a heim might be alil better on the radius arms.  what beams are u running?  the stocks or the djm?
automatik23   +1y

im not sure what exactly is wrong with running heims on my i beams i have just been told by a lot of people not to because that was my original idea.  im running djm beams that have been notched to clear the oil pan. i like the idea of uniballs welded into the poly bushing sleeve thats already a part of the i beam, any info on where i could get some or a price range? i would love to buy a hyrdoholics setup and forget about the bags but its a little outta my price range till i get a new job and i want a rollin  chassis by dangerzone in march lol. as for the radius arms im custom making tubular ones with super pivots. hey tre if u can, pm me and ill give you my cell number or email to maybe get some more info from you about uniballs and possibly switching to juice anyways if i can sell all my air parts.
automatik23   +1y

max or anyone else have any input?
automatik23   +1y

anyone know how often max gets on here? or does anyone else have input?  i found the uniballs on ballistic fab so i have another question. how would i attach it to the i beam? would it slide into the bushing sleeve welded onto the i beam?

unusualfabrication   +1y
Why not use heim joints on both? Seems like you would get more than enough travel with them and they are more than strong enough.
automatik23   +1y

thanks for the input chris....if i was to use heims on the i beams would you happen to know a website that would give me the mounting width of their heims with misalignment spacers? and a place to get them for a good price?