Page 1 of 3
Hydraulic Suspensions \  accumalators and heavy vehicles

accumalators and heavy vehicles

Hydraulic Suspensions Q & A
views 1060
replies 22
following 10

sex10   +1y
i am lookin into switching over to hydraulics on my 74 k5 blazer and my question is would  accumalators be the right way to go with a heavy vehicle? i had them  on my last truck and loved them but it was a mini so weight wasnt a big issue
tre5   +1y

People have started to use them on lowriders, big ones! So I say you will be fine with your application.
sicsan   +1y
Edited: 8/3/2009 10:16:35 PM by sicsan

i can speak on this. i have a 61 cadillac. over 6000lbs im using them with full rounds of 2 ton springs.   if you know them springs they dont give much make a shitty ride.  but i got the accumulators on now and it rides better that them, fn bags i had on it. i never had shocks on front and it would always go up and down in front while driving. i had shocks on rear with bags.  i took them off now with the hydraulics back on. no shocks at all and it rides graet
smithchassis   +1y
we use them with great success on big bodies like caprices impalas, 67 catalina just recently... no problems ever
AON-OFFDAHOOK   +1y
Actually the weight makes the truck ride even better!   We're running a promotional free week of shipping this week on all of our hydraulic products...shoot me an email and we can get you hooked up.  
sex10   +1y

ok thanks for the input guyz and hydroholics im not gonna be able to purchase anything till like the week after ur free shipping deal haha wich kinda sucks but i will be intrested in your oil filter setup if i could get a price on that  
AON-OFFDAHOOK   +1y
Edited: 8/4/2009 3:51:44 PM by AON-OFFDAHOOK

---------------------------------------------Originally posted by sex10ok thanks for the input guyz and hydroholics im not gonna be able to purchase anything till like the week after ur free shipping deal haha wich kinda sucks but i will be intrested in your oil filter setup if i could get a price on that  ---------------------------------------------The filter kits are $30/per filter (per pump).  If you make a non-refundable $100 deposit by the time the promotion ends we'll hold the free shipping until August 23rd should you pay the balance by then. 
sex10   +1y

---------------------------------------------Originally posted by AON-OFFDAHOOKEdited: 8/4/2009 3:51:44 PM by AON-OFFDAHOO  The filter kits are $30/per filter (per pump).  If you make a non-refundable $100 deposit by the time the promotion ends we'll hold the free shipping until August 23rd should you pay the balance by then.  --------------------------------------------- oh ok sounds good thanx
shvdass   +1y

Are you guys solid mounting the cylinders and using accumulators or still running springs on big cars?  I am interested in hydraulics for a 66 Old starfire project, it is very similar to a 66 impala.  I have been told to use cut stock springs with shorter cylinders and shocks all the way around.  Any input? I want a set up to ride nice and be reletively maintenence free.  I have no desire to hop or 3 wheel, just cruise.
AON-4PumpedCL   +1y

It's not a good idea to literally 'solid' mount the cylinder since it will need to move slightly through the suspension range.  I'd a powerball (or heim) on the lower control arm, a threaded sleeve to fine tune the cylinder height, followed by a donut welded (or bolted) into the factory upper spring perch.  It'll ride amazing with accumulators...no need for springs or shocks.  Plus, without a coil, you won't get any rattling or squeeking.  I have straight accumulators on my 6500 lb Nissan Armada with no problems and a great ride.