Page 2 of 2
Audio/Video \  how to wire my subs to my amp

how to wire my subs to my amp

Audio/Video Q & A
views 1105
replies 12
following 10

menace   +1y
so is there a set voltage that everyone should be setting their systems on? ive never heard of doing that... i tuned my two amps one time by setting them exactly the same with a multimeter so they all got the same power...

ShakinPlates   +1y
Originally posted by toadfrog17

Edited: 11/4/2008 11:32:50 PM by toadfrog17

If you bridge the amp you need to set your speaker outputs to 56.6vAC. If you use the 2ohm or 4ohm you need your voltage to be 28.3vAC on the speaker outputs

Dont you mean vDC? Wouldnt output vary upon application?
toadfrog17   +1y
Edited: 4/12/2009 10:50:59 PM by toadfrog17

---------------------------------------------Originally posted by ShakinPlatesOriginally posted by toadfrog17Edited: 11/4/2008 11:32:50 PM by toadfrog17If you bridge the amp you need to set your speaker outputs to 56.6vAC. If you use the 2ohm or 4ohm you need your voltage to be 28.3vAC on the speaker outputs

Dont you mean vDC? Wouldnt output vary upon application? --------------------------------------------- Yes output depends greatly on application. Depends on what amp you have. JLAudio has already done to math for you on all their amps. Everyone else you have to figure it out on your own. I did those numbers based on the 800a2 fosgate amp Pootus has. Let me find my formulas for figuring it out and I'll post them up here. Also it's AC NOT DC. I've included the 9 step process that JL descibes for the Amplifier Input Sensitivity “Gain”. This is to be used after you have figured out what voltage your amps needs to be at before clipping. Necessary Equipment• AC Voltmeter (Digital display recommended)• CD with a sine-wave test tone recorded at 0dB reference level in the frequency range to be amplified (ex. 50Hz for a subwoofer amplifier, 1 KHz for a midrange application). Do not use attenuated test tones (-10dB, -20dB, etc.).The Nine-Step ProcedureStep 1: Disconnect the speaker(s) from the amplifier.Step 2: Turn “Off ” all processing on the head unit and the amplifier (bass/treble, loudness, EQ, etc.).Step 3: Turn the input sensitivity control on the amplifier all the way down and switch “Input Voltage” to “Low”.Step 4: Set head unit volume to 3/4 of full volume.This will allow for reasonable gain overlapwith moderate clipping at full volume.Step 5: Cross-reference the amplifier model used and impedance load per channel on the chart below to determine the target output voltage.Note: When bridging two channels, the impedance each channel works at will be one-half of the load impedance. Therefore, it is necessary to divide the actual load impedance in half and use this impedance in the chart when bridging two channels. Also, the voltage found in the chart should be doubled.Step 6: Verify that you disconnected the speakers before proceeding. Play a track with an appropriate sine wave (within the frequency range to be amplified) at 3/4 head unit volume.Step 7: Connect the AC voltmeter to the speaker output of the amplifier.Step 8: Increase the input sensitivity control until the desired voltage (determined in Step 5) is delivered. If multiple subwoofer amps are being used, set each one to the same exact voltage and you have also level matched them. If excessive voltage is read with the control at minimum (full counterclockwise), switch the “Input Voltage” to “High” and re-adjust.Step 9: Once you have adjusted each amp to its maximum unclipped output level, reconnect all the speakers and proceed to adjust the level balance between the subwoofer and satellite amplifiers by turning DOWN the input sensitivity controls of amplifiers that are playing too loudly. Do NOT increase the input sensitivity of any amplifier as this will defeat the purpose of this procedure by permitting excessive clipping (distortion).
post photo