Ask A Pro \  Right Hand Drive ? on a 1st Gen Blazer

Right Hand Drive ? on a 1st Gen Blazer

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 4744
replies 30
following 23

flatblack92   +1y
Edited: 10/5/2008 9:57:40 AM by flatblackmazdawg

the grand am rack has the advantage of being able to fit almost any vehicle. the tie rods attack at the center of the rack so their position can be changed by changing the width of the plate.
post photo
AVTekk   +1y
Damn that GrandAm rack looks like a great fit, good call!

Im currently using a Mustang II rack that I narrowed 6-1/4" on my rhd project, I wouldnt suggest it for an s10 tho, for the same reason mentioned above: the pivots need to be inline with the control arms to keep good geometry and a stock s10s tie rods are pretty close to each other, you wont be able to narrow a conventional rack. The one above looks perfect tho.
bodydropped85   +1y
this is how i did the RHD on my jeep(s10 frame) i kept the stock center link/tie rods to keep ackerman and used a toyota p/u gear box were the idler arm was and put the idler arm were teh gear box was. i made new rails from the control arms forward tho.
blazins10   +1y
Originally posted by maz duh

Do the postal trucks use an S10 chassis or just the bolt on components like control arms, spindles, etc? I've never seen the underside of one to see for myself.

on the postal van swap , i grabbed a vin # off one and went to gm and got the part #s for all the steering parts are napa interchanged them for me just look for the s10 factory wheels on them
slash   +1y
Originally posted by AVTekk

Damn that GrandAm rack looks like a great fit, good call!

Im currently using a Mustang II rack that I narrowed 6-1/4" on my rhd project, I wouldnt suggest it for an s10 tho, for the same reason mentioned above: the pivots need to be inline with the control arms to keep good geometry and a stock s10s tie rods are pretty close to each other, you wont be able to narrow a conventional rack. The one above looks perfect tho.

That grandam rack does look good, but imo, I don't necessarily like the way they cut off the skid plate.. Dave, you know my work and you know I'll be meticulous about the install. I just have not decided what path to follow.

Originally posted by bagged85

this is how i did the RHD on my jeep(s10 frame) i kept the stock center link/tie rods to keep ackerman and used a toyota p/u gear box were the idler arm was and put the idler arm were teh gear box was. i made new rails from the control arms forward tho.

Building new rails would not be difficult at all... any info on which year toyota box you used? Also, any chance you can link a picture or two

Originally posted by blazins10

on the postal van swap , i grabbed a vin # off one and went to gm and got the part #s for all the steering parts are napa interchanged them for me just look for the s10 factory wheels on them

Any chance I can convince you to PM me a VIN #... don't want to go to jail for writing down the vin here near St Louis (lol)
bodydropped85   +1y
i dont have any finished pics on the net, but its an 86.5-94 yota.
2lowtoy   +1y
The one thing I will say that is Very Very important is that if you choice to do a rack you have to use a rack that is a REAR steer meaning that the rack is behind the center line of the wheels other wish it Will turn backwards.

And Dave (AVTEKK) you may want to ck yours.

When I did mine it was much less work to do a rack then to mess with a gear and the linkage that goes to it. I had my rack in and working in a weekend. Its all the other crap that is a pain.
unusualfabrication   +1y
I used a Saturn rack on mine, the one Justin was refering to, and haven't had a problem with it. I used the stock saturn rack and cut the threads off and TIG welded the stock nissan inner threads on it so I could use the stock nissan outters and adjuster sleeves. I have several years and thousands of miles of driving on it.
BDon20s   +1y
Which year Grand Am rack is pictured?

flatblack92   +1y
Im not really sure what year it is, but most of the ones i have seen have it. when i went to the junk yard there were probably 10 there, i just looked for the one that would be easiest to get out. it mounts high up on the strut, and is bolted to the firewall. also that picture i posted is an old car and it seems to have the rack mounted really low. i will be mounting mine higher then that.