Page 1 of 5
Mini Truckin General \  Machining 22.5 rims for 22" rubber

Machining 22.5 rims for 22" rubber

Mini Truckin General General Discussions
views 68133
replies 47
following 31

mindlissmetalfab   +1y
What exactly is the process? I have a buddy who works at a semi truck wrecker and hes got a trailer full of aluminum wheels. Got a local guy looking to run them on his new dually, but its gonna be BDd so it needs lo-pro 22s. Just wondering what the process is so I can see about having them done locally...
getto   +1y
i know alcoa mills the rim size down to a 22 my buddies dually is set up like this got them already milled down so a lo pro 22 fit.
dan48p   +1y
my guess would be just taking down a 1/4" from the bead mounting surface and the lip

all of my alcoa paperwork shows quite a bit of wear allowed on the outer edge before you have to throw away the wheel. those wheels are all we run at work and the operators beat the hell out of the wheels. fuckers stand up to just about anything
mindlissmetalfab   +1y
So the wheels are that thick that you can just machine 1/4" of material off all around and its still safe? Thats crazy.
B_Y_O_B   +1y
from what i understand you dont actually mill the outter lip just the inside of the rim where the bead of the tire contacts, i know some guys that havent machined their wheels and still run lo pro 22s with no prob, daily driven. i know for a fact that you cant mill a steel wheel though just the aluminum ones. the steel wheels dont have enough material.
huskerdually   +1y
Edited: 2/21/2008 12:23:34 PM by huskerdually

You are all a bunch of morons. If you just stretch the tire I hope you die when it blows out. And I hope your next of kin has to deal with the lawsuit. Wonder why our hobby gets such a bad rap because people don't know what they are doing and what to run like a big dog. Pay to have someone mill them that knows what they are doing, if your to damn cheap buy an s-10.

And used semi rims are 99% junk. Most have millions of miles on them and are out of round and bent and shit.

mindlissmetalfab   +1y
hes probably got 1000 of them so I'm sure we can find a few decent ones. New trucks get wrecked too...
Anyways I am NOT planning to stretch the tire onto a 22.5. The whole point of this thread is to find out what exactly needs to be machined so I can see if anyone local can do it...guess you missed that?
dragmatic   +1y
I was just wondering the same thing the other day. You can buy take-offs for 150 bux each and pay 600 bux each to buy new ones that are cut down. If I like a wheel I'll buy a new one but I just wondered.
huskerdually   +1y
Originally posted by iLLblazer

hes probably got 1000 of them so I'm sure we can find a few decent ones. New trucks get wrecked too...Anyways I am NOT planning to stretch the tire onto a 22.5. The whole point of this thread is to find out what exactly needs to be machined so I can see if anyone local can do it...guess you missed that?

No I didn't people ask this stupid question about 10 times a day on duallyscene. If he's got hundreds just start milling till you get it right.
huskerdually   +1y
Originally posted by B_Y_O_B

from what i understand you dont actually mill the outter lip just the inside of the rim where the bead of the tire contacts, i know some guys that havent machined their wheels and still run lo pro 22s with no prob, daily driven. i know for a fact that you cant mill a steel wheel though just the aluminum ones. the steel wheels dont have enough material.

But this guy did say run without milling.