threads
Page 2 of 2
Air Ride Suspensions \  Why is my S-10 not sitting level?

Why is my S-10 not sitting level?

Air Ride Suspensions Q & A
views 5929
replies 13
following 13

olskoolpup   +1y
its not due to the gas tank. ive read somewhere that GM did it for ease of entry for the driver. thats kinda silly tho considering its not a very high vehicle from the factory.

basically theres a difference somewhere with the control arms or spring pockets
WeightLimit   +1y
Edited: 1/7/2008 1:59:58 PM by WeightLimit

Originally posted by minipu95

yo dude it the s-10 lean man, all s-10 have it unless its bagged. u just have to live with i there isnt ne thing u can do bout it man. everyone goes through it.

post photo
ptlbush   +1y
The right and left front coil springs are identical, meaning that they both coil in the same direction, and that they begins an end in the same place. This means the left and right lower control arms are NOT mirrors of each other, and the different placement of the spring, 180 from each other, means that the springs support the weight differently. Upper spring seats are different as well. Springs do no compress perfectly linearly, they cannot be supported on a single point on each end there must be a contoured seat. Since these contoured seats are 180 degrees from each other, the linear flexion of the spring will be different from side to side, and it happens that the spring on the drivers side flexes laterally the opposite of of the passenger side.

Take a spring out of a click pen and compress it. It will try to spring out sideways. Same basic principal. In the small number of turns in an s10 spring, that sideways movement will generally always be the same. I

Why this shows up only with age is probably due to the softening of the control arm bushings, which in fact supply a lot of force to maintain level.

THE WAY you fix it: Add spacers under the upper sway bar bushings on the low side.
jaredmxg   +1y
good response on that one MT