Page 2 of 4
Tools \  Machining Dimple Dies

Machining Dimple Dies

Tools Q & A
views 3224
replies 33
following 14

unusualfabrication   +1y
What sizes do you have Seth? I am still interested in making some. If you can give me overall dimensions of the tool and dimensions of the taper like you descibed above I can figure it out.
TwistedMinis   +1y
I have 3/4, 1, and 1.5. I will take some measurements off of them tomorrow, since I'm out of welding wire I will be bored.
unusualfabrication   +1y
If you can get measurements off the 1.500" that would be great. I can scale it on the machine and make any different size.
unusualfabrication   +1y
Well its been awhile but I finally got around to machining up a pair of 1.500" dimple dies. I have to say that they turned out pretty nice and leave a great dimple. I tried it out on some stainless first with great results. I'll try and get some pics up of the dimple dies and the piece that I did. Next i'm going to try them on some .125" steel and see how they do.
spraybomb   +1y
I was just on Ebay searching for dimple dies. Your right...they can get expensive. Let me know if your in the mood to make up some more. I've been looking to buy some for a while now. Definately post some pics.
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
ok, i asked the same question a few days ago....

I decided to whip up a set of 3/4" and 1" dimple dies, for interior peieces, and they turned out great. I auctually just copied the measurments from a friends set of pro tools dies, and got mine all made up.

i only got to test it on 16g stainless, and it worked good. I sent them out for a black oxide finish today, and im expecting them back tommorrow, so i will post a few pics of mine also!

Thanks for the idea chris!

taylor

unusualfabrication   +1y
No problem! I'll post some pics of the dies and the piece of stainless that I did last night up tonigh sometime.
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
yea, please show the .125" stainless dimpled, because thats what my console arm rest is gonna be!

woot... dimple dies make me excited haha

Taylor
McClarys   +1y
yeah, lets see some pics chris...
ive been wanting to machine some myself, but dont understand how to make it so they stay center when punching...
McClarys   +1y
nevermind, just found a detail pic of one... now i understand.. guess a brain fart.. lol..
but still be interested in pics of what you made.....