Page 3 of 3
Ask A Pro \  Threaded End Links

Threaded End Links

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 774
replies 28
following 12

BioMax   +1y
That's true, I forget about production runs. Everything I do here is one-off so I forget that mass-production exists.
LaynRockers   +1y
Well I wanted to make mine out of a solid piece so I made them out of 4150 billet. So there was no welding and are 100% solid. I did the treads in a 4jaw chuck and then did the rest of the work on a cnc mill. BTW cris(bdroppeddak) the cnc lathes that I work with everyday will put a concaved surface on the end like the picture you posted it has live tooling and will machine it. After I made mine I should have just made them 100% in the lathe that has live tooling and a sub spindle with y axis. That way it would have been done completely and ready to put the bushings in with sleeve and go.
bdroppeddak   +1y
hey john i'd like to see some pics of those 1 piece ends, sounds freakin sweet!!
LaynRockers   +1y
I am making some now out of 304 stainless like the one Scott's Hot Rods sells that are adjustable angle. Pete'n Jakes sells some that are on angles but you have to make a full 360 degree turn instead of being able to spin them 180 degrees for alignment. I want to make mine like the ones Scott's sells. I just wanted to make them myself, if I was smart I would have just bought them instead lol would save a lot of time. I made some a few years ago for Matt Long that has the coronal gold(light green-yellow) GMC Envoy. He kept breaking the Pete'n Jakes so I make him some out of billet 4150 steel. I decided to use 4140-4150 due to its strenth over 1018.
gravity matt   +1y
Edited: 9/26/2007 8:44:10 PM by gravity matt

hey max, we do so many of them that it isnt that bad on price. the cnc does all of our ends, bungs etc.....the studs are actually coped 16 at a time on a jig built to hold them in a veritcal cnc milling machine...pretty cool.....i have some video i need to put up on the website
BioMax   +1y
Yeah, I can imagine. Like I said, I just forget about the rest of the world sometimes. What do you use to notch them? A long ass end mill or?
unusualfabrication   +1y
Originally posted by LaynRockers

Well I wanted to make mine out of a solid piece so I made them out of 4150 billet. So there was no welding and are 100% solid. I did the treads in a 4jaw chuck and then did the rest of the work on a cnc mill. BTW cris(bdroppeddak) the cnc lathes that I work with everyday will put a concaved surface on the end like the picture you posted it has live tooling and will machine it. After I made mine I should have just made them 100% in the lathe that has live tooling and a sub spindle with y axis. That way it would have been done completely and ready to put the bushings in with sleeve and go.

Watching those lathes run is pretty cool. Parts come off finished and the same everytime. Sometimes my CNC VMC's run for a couple days at a time. Lights out cutting is common for me, its the only way you can make money with high costs and short lead times.
unusualfabrication   +1y
Originally posted by BioMax

pretty much.

This is a "rougher" end mill

We call those corn cobbs up here in BFE, lol. They rough and finish at the same time. Nice and beefy, solid carbide!
post photo
unusualfabrication   +1y
I was looking at the pic of the the roughing mill again and realized that it wasn't a corn cobb. The corn cobbs alternate every flute as rough and finish. My bad guys!