Page 1 of 3
Ask A Pro \  Threaded End Links

Threaded End Links

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 753
replies 28
following 12

beyond sic   +1y
Quick couple of questions for you. When making your own 4-link end links what bolt is preferred to turn down to use at the threaded portion of the end link. For example is a grade 9 the best due to its tensile strength? Does welding it to the endlink effect strength therefore determining bolt grade? When tig welding the given bolt to the endlink does preheating on a hot plate and drawing back slowly help with strength? Also what type of washers are the best to use when mounting up four link bars. Is a standard USS or SAE suitable or should a higher grade be used?

Thanks is advance for any of the questions you can help me with. Its great to have someone like you who takes the time to answer questions for us all.

BioMax   +1y
I use 2" long F9-11 bolts for 3 reasons

1. They have a taller head and can be notched deeper if needed

2. The 2" thread is quite long and willallow extra adjustment if needed (I do believe that the 2 1/2" long bolts are completely threaded as well, but only use those occasionally.)

3. I can get them locally any time

You do not need to address them in any special way. If it is cold out, warm the parts up to at least 90deg or more and DO NOT quench them when you are finished welding. Make sure to use 1010, 1020, or 4130 DOM when making the bushing end, .120 to .250 wall depending on your needs. And clean off the dark grey outer coating wherever you are going to weld.

You don't need to use washers if you don't want to, I quite often don't, but if it a highly stressed part like a link bar on an off-road truck, I will use either AN bolts or grade 8 bolts long enough so that the "grip-length" (the unthreaded portion of the bolt) goes completely through the part and the tabs, so that there is no threads within the part. And whenever possible use nyloc nuts, not lockwashers.
beyond sic   +1y
Thats why your the man. You answered every question i had and in record time. Thank you very much for the info it is very appreciated and will be put to good use.
bdroppeddak   +1y
or you can buy threaded studs, mike from gravity-werx gets threaded studs cut out of B-7 for his 4 links, they are coped on a mill too!
BioMax   +1y
I have seen that used before, but I really like the idea of the head of the bolt for a larger surface area to weld to.

I turn mine down and notch them on the lathe.
515customs   +1y
Where can I find F9-11 bolts
bdroppeddak   +1y
hey max how the heck do you notch the end of a bolt in a lathe?
BioMax   +1y
I use a "rougher cutter" in the head and I made a tool to hold the bolt.
dirtyd97   +1y
any chance we could get a pic of whats your explaining max???
TwistedMinis   +1y
Originally posted by dirtyd97

any chance we could get a pic of whats your explaining max???

Something like this, just not using holesaws.