Ask A Pro \  5 lug swap question...

5 lug swap question...

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 1208
replies 26
following 13

nvrloenuf   +1y
Edited: 9/15/2007 3:46:12 PM by nvrloenuf

On my old nissan frame, I had swaped to 5 lug (using toyota hubs) but the mechanic who did it did not have to machine the spindle or anything to do it. He just found the right seal that worked. I was wondering if you knew what that seal was. He gave me the part number for it but that was about 5 years ago so needless to say, I don't have it anymore.. I just don't want to pull the hubs and spindles off the old frame because its already under another truck..

Thanks a lot..
(Aren't you glad you took over this column?)
BioMax   +1y
I do have the seal written down in the shop, I will try and get it tonight.
creative concepts   +1y
Edited: 9/15/2007 4:55:18 PM by potter

the seal isnt the right way to do this.. the seal is just a seal that happens to fit, it doesnt allow the hub and rotor to sit all the way back here it needs to, thus this is th reason you have to have it machined.. the yota hub is physically 1/4 of an inch thicker then the nissan hub.. that is why you have to space.. mine was done with the seal, which caused the bearing not to ride wher eit should, it grooved the spindle shaft and broke... also b/c of it stiking out too far, it rode on the spindle nut, allowing it to loosen and sheer the cotter pin acouple of times before literally breaking on me in the middle of MO.

have your spindles machined, i've had em done and stuck a few thousand on it and not 1 problem, the seal broke with about the same mileage on it.
BioMax   +1y
I have heard this before, but I have not yet experienced what you are explaining. The way that I tighten my bearings would be considered by most as over tightening and there is zero issues with the seal that I run. There are many Nissans out there that I have done and not one has shown any sign of scoring.

Is it possible that the seal that you ran is the issue?
creative concepts   +1y
i've ran the seal that every one else has used.. i've tightened the living hell out of them.. they always worked off and screwed up.

not sure if they arent having problems.. or just think its normal to go through wheel bearings.
BioMax   +1y
I do all of the maintenance on my customers vehicles. If there was an issue, I would hae seen it. Let me know what seal you are using and I'll see if it's the same one I use. I found the seal I use myself, I did not use what someone else suggested.
creative concepts   +1y
its a federal mogul part number.. its the one floating around the board i'll find it for ya max.

does your seal still make you need to space the caliper out?
nvrloenuf   +1y
Yeah Max.. Any help would be great.. Thanks in advance..

And as to having the seal mess up other stuff, like I said my truck ran for about 5 years with no issues at all. So using this set up on a truck I may drive about 1000 miles a year I would have no hesitations in running again..
BioMax   +1y
Originally posted by potter

only about .060" or so...
creative concepts   +1y
Originally posted by BioMax

Originally posted by potter

only about .060" or so...

the seal that the previous owner did on my truck was around .188 to .250