Page 1 of 2
Isuzu \  new to isuzus need some help

new to isuzus need some help

Isuzu Make Specific
views 1479
replies 11
following 9

dirty   +1y
i hae a friend that has an 86 space cab that were going to bag over the winter. as far as whats needed for the back thats not a problem but im not sure about the front. the sticky at the top of the page was very informative but is that for the 88+ or are they all the same?? he is wanting to have it set up for 20s and i read something about using 88+ drop spindles, whats the deal on this? is it a direct bolt in application or is there modifications to make this work?? for the lower bag mounts id=s it better to cut the lca and replate it or is there another route to do this??

any help would be greatly appreciated??
fatboysS1O   +1y
im helping, or more along the lines of watching a buddy bag a 86 SpaceCab right now. ill double check but i do believe he said the spindles for the newer Isuzus DO NOT fit. also, he reused some of his old tubular upper arms he had on his previous Isuzu he built.for the lower arms he just notched them to clear the frame and plated up the bottoms of them for extra strength since he notched the piss out of them. the cool thing is if you dont bd it you wont have to tub the firewall! take a look at his profile it "bdydrppup". i think he just has pics of it lowered a little bit on there but he should get some pics up of it layed out in the next couple of days.
FreakwitaFro   +1y
20's on that body style is HUUUUUGE and gonna be pretty tough to tuck. i do know that they don't make drop spendles for that year but a buddy of mine did it some how. he had to swap a lot of parts like ball joints and shit like that but not exactly sure how he did it.
dirty   +1y
freakwitafro - is there anyway that you could find out what parts he used and swapped around for me??

fatboys10 - ill check out your friends profile and see what i can use of there.

anymore info would be greatly appreciated
dirty   +1y
anybody else have 2 cents they wanna add?
creative concepts   +1y
what i'd do is this... if you can afford tubulars, get them bad for that truck with upper/lower balljoints for a new isuzu spindle so you can have drop spindles, use a heim joint and drill out the tie rod end to a straight and not a factory taper, use a grade 8 bolt and secure it.

if you dont wanna do tubulars, then see what you got balljoint wise with a newer isuzu.. you might find the bottom might almost fit, if it does, taper the spindle out somemore till it does.. if its pretty far off, see if the balljoint sleeve is the same as the newer isuzu, if it is, get newer lowers, press them in, weld up the upper holes and redrill for a newer isuzu balljoint.. and find something for the tie rod, might be able to get the newer tie rods to screw into the older style.

it really is a 'think of all roads' type of deal, but you'd be surprised at what balljoints and shit are the same on trucks.
dirty   +1y
how hard would it be to swap out the the control arms and spindles for the newer one so i can get drop spindles.
bdydrppup   +1y
if you swap from 81-87 iauzu to 88-95 isuzu it will bolt up but wont tuk for shite. been there dun that, the control arms are 2 inches linger on the newer body style. my old z71s stuck out
nvrdunizu   +1y
I put drop spindles of an 88-94 body style on mine it only pushes out 3/4 of an inch on each side. I tuck escalade 17's no problem . the trick is just use the ball joints and tie rod ends off the 88-94 truck. I cut them down and retapped them to fit my lower control arm. And you have to order tie rod end both for the right side , because the 81-87 truck does;nt use a left hand thread end.
nvrdunizu   +1y
I put drop spindles of an 88-94 body style on mine it only pushes out 3/4 of an inch on each side. I tuck escalade 17's no problem . the trick is just use the ball joints and tie rod ends off the 88-94 truck. I cut them down and retapped them to fit my lower control arm. And you have to order tie rod end both for the right side , because the 81-87 truck does;nt use a left hand thread end. :fon: