Page 3 of 3
Air Ride Suspensions \  locktite vs. teflon tape

locktite vs. teflon tape

Air Ride Suspensions Q & A
views 5411
replies 26
following 25

moedaman   +1y
Well i use to work for peterbilt assembly plant here in nashville tn and we used a mixture of locktite and sometimes the tape the biggest thing to watch out for is proper fitting in your threads and and how well you tighten them>> sometimes we would seal it with some kinda paint were the fitting went into the tank LAST FOR YEARS !!!!!!!!!
shawnswhip   +1y
i work at "oshkosh truck" building all the military vehicles for the government, and comercial vehicles as well. all we use is loctite. it the only thing that works! just make sure you DONT get the loctite on the bottom 2-3 threads, and you'll be good. the trucks we sell go for 1-2 million dollars each, and if the air systems, and components leak in testing...they dont buy the truck! so to sum it up...LOCTITE!!!!!
kboring   +1y
Edited: 2/8/2007 6:39:30 AM by kboring

I use loctite 567 thread sealer stick..not regular loctite, that would be retarded
idrgbdy   +1y
teflon
slammedxonair   +1y
so whats the deal on the stuff suicide doors sell is it anygood? ive used it on a couple systems and it seems to leak more than other systems ive built.
BioMax   +1y
I haven't used any of the fancy stuff from anybody, but if the parts are clean and properly tightened, there should be no room for leaks.

I agree with Matt tho, the loctite name is being used as a specific product. Loktite makes MANY different types of "thread dressing" for many different applications. When I described using loctite on aluminum threads, I meant actual "red" thread locker. That is what is called out by CNC and Wilwood. On the brass fittings, I use liquid teflon paste from loctite.
LaidNeon   +1y
i just switched over to liquid teflon