Page 1 of 4
Sport Compact General \  Why do they call it "uni-body drop"

Why do they call it "uni-body drop"

Sport Compact General General Discussions
views 1762
replies 30
following 28

John Nissan   +1y
Me and Fievel where both talking about this the other night...when you body drop a truck you are in a sence "dropping" the body over the frame.

Most of these so-called uni-body drops are just cars with tubs and kicks ass a-arms. Why not just call it what it is, Tubbed? You are not lowering the body over the uni-body, it stays in the same spot. unles you are building a fully tubular chasis for the car to ride on like NASCAR. im lost.
BlazrOnRokrs   +1y
i thought you were in fact cutting the floor from the car and raising it and suspension, motor, tranny, (everything excluding the body) and dropping the body around it, and welding it back together, to let the body lay, and not the headers, tranny, and suspesion since it hangs lower than the actual body of the car.

and since it is a uni-body vehicle, its a uni-body drop.

all the rest of them with tubs are just posers for an actual uni-body drop. i have seen very few cars with uni-body drops.
pearldrop   +1y
It is inaccurate, but people understand what you are trying to accomplish when you use that term.

John Nissan   +1y
Originally posted by pearldrop

It is inaccurate, but people understand what you are trying to accomplish when you use that term.

Then we should change it
slammedz   +1y
Edited: 1/17/2006 2:57:15 PM by slammedz

Originally posted by zerophil

I did see an old body style caviler where they built a full frame for it, but I'm sure if that really counts either.

hey do you got any more pics of this cavalier..my friend would love pics

kevin@aac   +1y
why do we call it "stock floor body drop"?

I had to raise my trany tunnel, is that "stock"?
clean cut creations   +1y
Edited: 1/17/2006 3:37:44 PM by clean cut creations

Originally posted by BagedRanger

why do we call it "stock floor body drop"?

I had to raise my trany tunnel, is that "stock"?

We call it a "STOCK FLOOR" body drop because compared to a traditional "cut all to hell" floor it IS relativly stock. NO giant step up from the door sills is required to clear the frame. All stock floor body drops require some mods to the floorpan to clear something on the drivetrain.

If you want to get technical the process of "BODY DROPPING" is really called "CHANNELING"..........

pearldrop   +1y
Originally posted by HATEandPAIN

Originally posted by pearldrop

Then we should change it

I agree completely.
CLNSHVNnDRAGGN   +1y
I agree with people needing to start calling it what it really is. When I was planning on doing a uni-body drop on my car that's exactly what I was gonna have to do. My floor pan, engine cradle, etc. already sit flat on the ground. Raising the strut towers or just tubing part of the car will not get me any lower. The only thing to get lower is to actually do a body drop on it.

tucky   +1y
on some trucks if you do your cross members right you dont have to do anything to the floor not ever the trany