threads
Page 1 of 1
Yota Electrical \  Ignition Help Please!

Ignition Help Please!

Yota Electrical Yota Tech
views 1244
replies 2
following 2

rollinyotas   +1y
Problem:
My truck will start after some effort and even if I bring up the RPMs to try to keep it going, the engine will slow die out.
The bottom two fuse terminals are getting really hot, not the spare obviously. But are not popping the fuses.

What I know:
I converted to a Pertronix electric ignition system to do away with points a long time ago. I got it to run just fine and these issues started well over a year later; however, the truck does spend most of the time collecting dust. I'm still not sure if it is wired correctly though.
The truck was running before I decided to remove the bridged fuses and replace the fusible link with an inline spade fuse.

Some pics:

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

Background:

I am having a terrible time getting my truck to run. I finally got it to run and drove it around a while and everything seemed fine. So, I decided to get working on replacing the battery tray ( it was rusted away to nearly nothing ) and figure out why my headlights weren't running.

I replaced the melted fusible link for my headlights and got them to work and made a new battery tray. The truck still ran fine and everything was going smoothly. Then, I noticed that a few fuses on the interior block were burnt or bridged with paperclips. So, I decided that this would be my next project.

I replaced all the fuses with brand new fuses of the proper amperage and removed all the bridges. I also found a few wires that were worn and exposed, so I cut and replaced sections to remedy this. Then, I found a wire was partially melted along the entire wire all the way from the coil to the fuse block where it tapped into on of the bridged fuses. AWESOME! Thankfully it didn't seem to affect any of the other wires; at least in the section of the wiring harness that I pulled apart in the engine bay. I really didn't want to rip apart the entire harness throughout the truck to check every single spot.

I cut both ends of the wire and ran a new wire on the outside of the harness to replace the melted one. Now I can't keep the truck running.
rollinyotas   +1y
BTW I have a 73 toyota pickup with an 18r.
jsmith14   +1y
you can bring it to a auto repair shops to diagnose the problem. replacing the ignition switch will solve you problem.
Page 1 of 1