Page 2 of 2
Yota Lowering \  Shock Lengths

Shock Lengths

Yota Lowering Yota Suspension Yota Tech
views 770
replies 14
following 6

layedout72   +1y

your welcome. you asked for a shock that extended more than the body itself so i figured you weren't aware. so no...it was not obvious.
stll2hi   +1y

Actually, this is what I asked. Maybe I worded it wrong, my fault. Toyotrick got what I was saying. I was referring to something with an extra reservoir that collapses at 10" cuz the only ones I was finding collapsed around 15-16". I can't help if you read into my questions wrong. Thanks anyway though.
twisted minis   +1y
I read it the same way Bump did. And I read it several times to make sure I was reading it correctly. There is no possible way for a shock to travel more than it's body length, even if it is a reservoir shock. I actually typed out an explanation as to why it's not possible before he said anything, but I gave up on it. See if your shock is 10" collapsed, that means its 10 inches eye to eye. There is roughly ~3/4-1" from the center of that eye to the piston or seal when the shock is fully compress. That leaves at most 8.5 inches of rod inside the shock. So the most that shock can travel is 8.5 inches. A reservoir shock may be able to squeeze 9 inches from a 10" collapsed shock, but it is still physically impossible to create more travel than the shocks compressed length. It just does not work. To get 12 inches of travel from a shock, you need something that compresses to between 13 and 14 inches. And it's extended length would be 25-26 inches, since it gets 12 inches of travel. Does that make sense?
stll2hi   +1y
That makes sense, like I said, I guess I worded the question wrong. I'm still having a hard time trying to formulate it now....basically, I'm looking for the most travel in a 10" collapsed shock. I should have never put 12-15" or whatever I put, my fault. So you're saying the most I'll get out of any 10" collapsed shock is 8-9"?? If so, I can deal with that. I'm getting about 4" with the shocks I have now, but that's because they were off the setup before and I'm reusing them. So back to my original question, only now altered, does anyone know where to find a 10" collapsed shock that gets the most travel possible??
stll2hi   +1y
Now that I read everything over again, I can see how it was confusing. I think you guys focused on the amount of travel I was wanting. That's my fault. Basically, I am looking for the MOST travel out of a 10" collapsed shock. Sorry for the confusion.