threads
Page 2 of 2
Yota Lowering \  fattest possible rear tire?

fattest possible rear tire?

Yota Lowering Yota Suspension Yota Tech
views 948
replies 19
following 7

yodaforce   +1y
I put 15x10's with 295/50-15's on the rear of an '89. It did not rub the frame amd it did not stick out past the edge of the fender, but it was never going to tuck! That was a 5" offset. I did it for a guy who was "planning" to do a 350 swap.
macdave06   +1y
I'll probably tuck some of the tire. my trucks lowered 4-5 inches in the rear(with the coil-overs at their lowest mounting point). it might be just high enough to clear the tire. I didn't think I'd be able to go that big anyways so if I cant fit a 295 that's no big deal. I was looking at probably 265 or 275 as my biggest possible tire anyways.
lux15m   +1y
i still like to lay mine out with a fat tire. I cheat and just run semi slicks for the traction when needed. Having over 500hp and boost will always be a traction issue. Too much fun doing a burnout whilst driving down the highway. Confuses the hell out of people.
macdave06   +1y
what do you have in your truck?
lux15m   +1y

2JZGTE with a T04z nothing to serious.
macdave06   +1y
ah. totally different power band. An lt1 makes 330 ft lbs at 2400 straight out of the box, with iron heads. That's the part that worries me as far as traction. Hopefully the light weight will help with traction being that it doesn't have much to push. I got my gas tank way in the back and I'm moving my battery to the bed too, so that'll help with weight transfer.
lux15m   +1y
may be slightly different power per say, but it does produce alot of torque and power even before boost. i can easily out pace LS1s with just my torque.
thread post photo

My fuel cell is located behind my diff and the battery is also in my tub.
What diff ratio are you running? That is another way to make not so aggressive. i went form a 4.5 to a 3.9 and i still smoke the tyres everytime. Same goes for the gerabox/transmission. Will it be auto or manual.
Also look at your suspension setup. Since i have had my 4link dialed in it has help massive amounts inregards to traction/launching straight. Tyres are just a small part of getting the power to the ground.
macdave06   +1y
you're probably making most of your torque at around 5000rpms though. I'm running a pretty tall gear though. From doing some counting I believe my rear is a 3.07 ratio, I may go up to like a 3.55. I'm using the 4l60e automatic trans that goes with the motor, which has a 3.06 first gear ratio. I'm assuming you're running a manual?
Post was last edited on Jan 29, 2009 12:01. This post has been edited 1 times.
blackls1   +1y
Sounds like a killer project. Wide rear meat always looks cool.
macdave06   +1y

thats for sure. its comin along pretty good, just cleaning up the motor now, and gettin the interior stripped so I can cut the tunnel.