Page 2 of 3
Yota Lowering \  rear bag location..... over axle vs. over bars

rear bag location..... over axle vs. over bars

Yota Lowering Yota Suspension Yota Tech
views 4546
replies 22
following 6

sd yota   +1y
thats seriously impressive! man.... how long have you been doing this for??

that top arm looks like it would make for some serious clearance. with the offset that far over though, is the joint on the side where it all connects slightly weaker as opposed to connecting to a solid straight bar as the one pictured first?

thats what i was thinking about doing as well...... a reverse 3 link setup.... similar to this guys....
twisted minis   +1y

Thats difficult to answer.

Technically no. Its nearly the same thing the way forces see it. It still sees the same side load as any other wishbone. The first thing to fail will likely be the axle housing where the tabs are welded in place.

The only difference is that if that weld where to fail (read cleanly separate in one motion) your axle would move side to side and wrap up into the driveshaft. If the same weld broke on a standard wishbone it would not wrap into the driveshaft. But it would try to move side to send, and do one of 3 things: Bend the remaining link bar; tear the tabs off the top of the axle housing; tear the tabs off the frame.

But thats why I TIG weld these parts. I have more control over the weld, and I can be sure that it won't fail. I have built 4-links in the same fashion before, and other people have been doing it before me for a long time.

But yes it provides a lot of clearance from the driveshaft, which means it can be mounted properly and keep correct geometry and and IC in front of the truck.

No offense to anyone, but I will never install a reverse link in anything.
sd yota   +1y
its hard to build a perfect setup...... unfortunately, you deal with what you have, and i have very little room for optional desighns in suspension setup and geometry....

you have my interest, what do you have against a reverse link setup? ive seen and heard what "side effects" comes from this setup but, is there something structurally wrong about it??
twisted minis   +1y
Structurally no. They will work, and they will hold the truck on the ground. But its a poor design and it will behave poorly.

And honestly I don't want to get into it any further than that. The reverse link topic has been beaten to death and back countless times.
m_i_zombie   +1y

I put my set up in shortly before Seth came up with his nifty deal here. If I would have waited, I would have gone with a similar deal. I don't mention my rev4 much for the simple fact of all the soap boxing on the matter and keep it on the down low. I'm only going to say I've had good luck with mine so far, 2,500 on the build and no problems. Its even passed Toyota and INDOT inspection recently and I won my case with the county law.

Seth your setups are looking killer
chopped~n~dropped   +1y

No comment
twisted minis   +1y
^ So why make a comment?

Like I said, I don't want to argue about it, because its already been said. And Ive been in those battles, and it never leads anywhere. Theres information on the internet, in books, and in magazines comparing forward to reverse links. So if anyone wants to know the difference, and the limits of each setup, its easy enough to find the information.
sd yota   +1y
yea, i just havent researched enough to find those comparisons i guess. ill look into it deeper but im as new as new can get to anything that dont have a 3 inch lift on it so im slowly learning.....

i dont wanna cause a heated debate on something thats as opinionative as what the best flavor ice cream there is... i appreciate the input you guys have given me.
twisted minis   +1y
Check out Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams. And Max Fish has a few good articles. The best of whish was in a recent issue of Sport Truck.
sd yota   +1y
i guess ill suck it up. after doing a CRAP load of reading...... forward linking will render better results for ME. seth, thanks for the point in the right direction. gotta do alot of research before just goin out and choppin stuff up. especially me........ i wanna just do it once and be done...... done and happy.

the thing that got me to thinking now, is that it wont be all that hard to just relocate the tank. big whoop..... either or if i find a decent priced fuell cell ill just plant one in the back and be done with it. i think it'll also give a further better ride since there will be a constant weight in the rear due to the fuel.