threads
Page 1 of 1
Yota Adjustable Suspension \  WELDING QUESTION??

WELDING QUESTION??

Yota Adjustable Suspension Yota Suspension Yota Tech
views 1139
replies 6
following 5

bluebear805   +1y
THIS MIGHT BE A STUPID QUESTION TO ASK BUT WHEN WELDING UP THE TABS ON THE AXEL FOR YOUR LINKS DO U DRAIN THE OIL OUT OF THE AXEL OR JUST WELD WITH THE OIL IN THEIR? WHAT STEPD DO U GUYS USE TO PREP FOR A GOOD SOLID WELD?
truck action   +1y
I did not drain mine,however I did change the oil when I did the rear brake up grade!
Use a sanding disk & remove all the paint in the areas you will be welding at.
I recommend you use a 220 welder as you want good penetration, this is your suspension,you don't want to be making mutable passes!
bluebear805   +1y
yeah, my concern was the gear oil catching fire and burnin seals. i think i might just drain it weld the tabs and put new oil. thanks.
sparage   +1y
I welded mine with it drained just because I had already drained it previously. Make sure the area you are going to weld is down to bare metal and clean and you should be good to go.
i8nt2lo   +1y
I welded mine with it filled, not a problem. AND I did with with a 120 Miller. Slow and hot. Checked the under carriage just the other day and not a problem anywhere. And I second the "keep the area clean" suggestion. Or third it...I guess.
burnzya   +1y
you should be fine to weld it with the oil in the housing.

just be sure to get all the nasty factory paint/coating whatever the heck it is off.

the housing is only about 1/8" thick. so don't get to carried away and burn a hole in it. i also weld them uphill. for the tabs on the top of the axle i start on the side and go to the top. on the bottom tabs i start on the bottom and go to the side. but i've seen lots of people weld em down and they seem to hold fine so it's up to you lol.

thread post photo
bluebear805   +1y
ok got it thanks everyone.
Page 1 of 1