Page 1 of 1
Yota Suspension \  How far did/can you drop motor

How far did/can you drop motor

Yota Suspension Yota Tech
views 870
replies 9
following 4

bigruff   +1y
I have a touyota pickup boddied to doors. With the combination of stock floor and raised floor and 3/4 inch lowered body mounts. Z'd frame 1.5 and dropped motor 1 3/4 inches. I have a modified valve cover and am getting my modified throttle body and plenum soon. trying to get stock hood back on. Looks like I am going to have to run a scoop of some sort anyways. So I was wondering how far did you drop your motor and how did you do it If you did it. So I guess the real question be how far can you drop a motor and it still fit and work right? Thanks for any information.
sparage   +1y
I have dropped mine till the oil pan sits on the crossmember and still can't fit a stock hood. Wonder if I can notch the crossmember under the pan and plate it back then section the pan where the drain plug is so its not on the ground. Where you at seth?
n2bnlow   +1y
You can section the oil pan, or cut the bottom off and weld a flat bottom on, and notch it for the cross member. Then section the cross member. this will get you around 2-3" of drop clearance. But 1.5-2.5 quarts less oil. You'll have to cut a section out of the oil pick-up tube, and probably re-locate the drain plug. But you will be able to stuff that motor under a stock hood. I've seen it on a doored 90, and a doored 87, but I don't know what year/body you're talking about. They moved the motor back on the 87. Hope this helped a little.
bigruff   +1y
My truck is a 91. Dont really want to lose that much oil. I have sectioned oil pan to clear crossmember and also cut the crossmember down also.
n2bnlow   +1y
so, if its close, you can still move the motor back a little. You'd have to move the tranny cross member, and maybe shorten the drive shaft. But that's all better than a cowl hood.
sparage   +1y
What about the lower radiator hose and the steering.
n2bnlow   +1y
Ha. Good call. I forgot to mention that I'm running a Mustang aluminum radiator, and it fits inside the frame rails. Got it from Summit, and it was just over $100. You can notch the oil pan at the steering too, or cut that whole section out and put a flat one in. That will give clearance for the cross member and steering. No matter what, you CAN put a stock hood on a doored 90, (with a 22RE) in it.
sparage   +1y
What I mean is the radiator hose that loops around the motor mount. goes from the water pump to the bottom. If I go any further that will be against the drag link. My drag link has already been notched to clear the pan and the motor has been dropped 1 3/4" already. It almost clears but doesn't. Oh and mines carbed. thanks for the help. Hope this is helping the original poster as well.
n2bnlow   +1y
You don't need that pipe. Take it out and route the radiator hose without it.
vegasyota94   +1y
anthony.. ur nickname should be AirForce0ne
Page 1 of 1