Page 1 of 4
Yota Exterior \  smoothy bumper

smoothy bumper

Yota Exterior Yota Tech
views 2536
replies 35
following 11

collins94   +1y
i know this has been done because it is on fbi rides so i figured im going to try it if anyone has done it give me some pointers i was goin to use a mig welder to do it the ones on fbi has been tig welded let me know what yall think and if you have done this b4

figured id try to save some money
idropdit (brandon)   +1y
just tig it. it'll be a lot easier. just weld it up, grind the welds, add a little filler, and boom! you're done.
nc dragger   +1y
you need to be careful as the metal is thin
collins94   +1y
yea well the only prob with that is where i work in a body shop all iv got is a mig welder and thats all iv ever used how much different is it using a tig
collins94   +1y
we have the durabond glue that is in the gun that mixes as it comes out of the tip do you i used it once to shave some windshield squirts do you think i could use that i mean that stuff is extremely tough you have to have a grinder to take it down the only problem with this would be is that would be under alot of stess going down the road with wind on it all the time i could crack if i didnt weld it
truck action   +1y
Started to do my own way back when I started my truck. But then found out the 2wd bumper is to small to mate up when you use 4x4 fenders, So I FBI had a one piece made for me,think they now sell one! Just get theirs! Just to muck work to do it your self,& yes the metal is very thin!.
I reinforced the bottom edge of mine with 1/8" bar stock!
collins94   +1y
well i have a parts truck that has the 4wd bumper im goin to try it on it but i cant afford 280 bucks right now if i can do it myself il make a how to on here or sumthin i hope i dont mess it up lol
smctoy   +1y
just turn the mig welder down so you dont burn through the metal. Ive never tried it on a bumper before, but Ive welded on metal just as thin as the bumpers are & it can be done. Just tack it & let it cool!! Hope it works out for you & keep us posted.
collins94   +1y
ooo trust me i will im goin to get started on it this week
n2bnlow   +1y
I did one with a mig and it turned out fine. These bumpers are for looks mostly. They dont need to be tigged. But I would weld it. Not use glue. Not to mention that the glue could have a chemical reaction with the body work or paint.
First I ground the paint off everthing. Then I loosely bolted everthing together, and moved the valance forward to match up with the bumper. To create a smaller gap. Tightened the bolts and then tacked the two tog
Then I placed a piece of 1/8" cold rolled steel in the gap, tacking on both sides as I went.
thread post photo

Then I blended that all out. You could barely feel the gap. As a small flat spot. Then I addressed the sides. This truck is a 87 which has a shorter bumper, so I marked the wheel well on the bumper. Cut it and plated it in.
thread post photo

Go slow and dont let it get too hot. Mine turned out real nice. Hope this was of some help.
thread post photo