Page 2 of 3
Toyota Pickup Projects \  Tacoma with HYDROHOLICS.NET

Tacoma with HYDROHOLICS.NET

Toyota Pickup Projects
views 3978
replies 25
following 9

tre5   +1y
Got some stuff done today. Closed in the ends where the bushings used to be on the sub frame. Put some 45 pieces in the frame for strength. Put a cut out in the crossmember for the exhaust. Closed off the ends of the frame rails under the sub frame. Put an overlay on the niside of the frame rails up front. Ect. Ect.
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
sakustoms   +1y
looks real good so far. Nice work.
tre5   +1y
working on the front end...
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
layedout72   +1y
what exactly did you do with that spindle? I see the balljoint was swapped for a spherical, but are the spacers to make it essentially a drop spindle? and is it really safe? Not doubting you, just wondering as I've never seen that...
tre5   +1y
todays progress...
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
tre5   +1y

I drilled the top ball joint taper out to accept a 3/4" hiem. Then I put the heim under instead of on top. It basically lowers the height of the pivot so the upper arm doesn't have an extreme angle. Then on the lower I spaced the ball joint and steering arm down roughly the same amount. The whole idea is to raise the height of the hub. It is the same principle as a drop spindle. As far as safe goes, the upper pivot is stronger than stock for sure. The spacers for the bottom aren't just a cut peice of tube and new longer bolts. If you take notice you will see that the extenders are machined to fit into the spindle and ball joint. In one of the pics you can see that the lower ball joint (in stock form) has a sleeve that fits into the spindle. I removed those sleeves and machined the extender to have the sleeve go into the spindle and the ball joint. That is where a lot of the strength will come from. So with the proper parts and bolts, i would say that is just as strong as stock, if not stronger.
layedout72   +1y
So I take it the build is getting a fairly large wheel? Is all that actually cheaper than just buying a set of drop spindles, for the customer? I like the concept, I would rather have something built than buy the parts off the shelf, just asking questions. I like what you've done so far.
tre5   +1y
the wheels are 22's, 20's would probably fit also the way it is setup. The lower ball joint could be put back in the stock location on the lower arm and you could probably fit an 18.

They don't make a drop spindle for a tacoma.
tre5   +1y
more progress...
thread post photo

thread post photo
tre5   +1y
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo