Page 1 of 4
Max Projects \  Ill_Mits build thread 4G63t swap

Ill_Mits build thread 4G63t swap

Max Projects
views 10875
replies 36
following 8

droppedmitsu   +1y
Thought I'd start a build thread since I'm going to be swapping in my 4g63t in a few weeks and I've already started pulling things apart. I'm going to be running a stock 6 bolt 4g63t from a '91 Mitsubishi Eclipse. I already had this engine in my previous truck so most of the major fab work has already been completed.

List of parts needed and/or mods to complete swap that I used to complete swap:
*4g63t and all manifolds/sensors/etc.. from 90-92(preferably) Eclipse/Talon/Laser
*Engine wiring harness, ECU, and MPI Relay from same vehicle
*Shorten/Lengthen engine harness wires as necessary to reach their new position and power/ground the ecu/mpi relay
*KM132 4 or 5 speed manual transmission from late 80's 2.0l Mighty Max/Ram50 with g63b engine
*Motor mounts from 2.0 truck, but fab'd to move engine 1 7/8" forward so CAS and thermostat housing will clear firewall.
*Lengthened driveshaft to go with motor mounts
*Make throttle body flange and weld to front side of intake manifold
*Waterpump from 87-89 g63b 2.0l modified to clear timing components
*Waterpipe from 87-89 g63b modified to accept turbo and throttle body coolant lines
*Custom intake and intercooler piping.
There is a few more I will add as I remember them.

thread post photo

Apart for new seals and gaskets

thread post photo

You need to grind down the ribs on the truck water pump so that the timing belt pulley will clear it

Will update this this week as parts come in
Post was last edited on Jun 28, 2011 04:06. This post has been edited 1 times.
droppedmitsu   +1y
Ok, here's how I modified the stock truck waterpipe that comes off of the water pump. I had to do this due to the turbo and oil filter housing having coolant lines running to them and me running the truck water pump and waterpipe which do not have these fittings.

Spot added right behind pump for coolant line to oil filter housing.
thread post photo

You can see the second big fitting I welded on(came from stock 2.0l DOHC waterpipe). This goes to the turbo. The aluminum tubing behind the turbo is the outlet(or maybe inlet, can't remember which is which) for the coolant that I made.
thread post photo

Another view of cooling lines to and from turbo.
thread post photo

This pic shows the aluminum tubing(3/8") I made to run coolant to the throttle body like it does stock. I figured this was the best way to get coolant there since the throttle body has been moved to front of engine for RWD purposes.
thread post photo

Another shot of the lines to throttle body
thread post photo

Connecting to throttle body.

Hope to put motor in engine bay this weekend and find out all what else I need, should only be some intercooler couplers and few random things
aorolfo   +1y
if i could id hit the "Like" button hah
slow50   +1y
no pics? i got a 4g63 sitting in my garage but it probably wont make it into my d50.
droppedmitsu   +1y
There are a BUNCH of pics there. If they arent working it might be because they are hosted on the other Mighty Max/Ram50 website. Let me know if you cant see them and I'll upload them somewhere else too so this site can see them
droppedmitsu   +1y
thread post photo

My modified motor mounts to move engine 1 7/8"(what I chose to move it) forward
thread post photo

Showing difference of 1.8L cover(parrallel with engine) and 2.0 4g63(pointing towards firewall)
thread post photo

Ready to go in
thread post photo

It's in!
thread post photo

Since I had already done all the wiring troubles on the swap before, I only had to connect these three wires to power my harness/ecu/mpi relay
thread post photo

How she's sitting after the 5-lug swap and new wheels
dale   +1y
Great looking truck man my dads got a lil beast started he's dropping a mopar 318 in a 87 Max its gonna be badass
droppedmitsu   +1y
Sounds like it should be pretty sweet dale.

Well I've been getting everything mounted and connected, etc... All I have to do is get my alternator wiring done and finish the exhaust from the end of the cat to the back.
Got the intercooler in its place so I can retain my A/C. Its size is 27x5.5x2.75. It fits right under the a/c lines and the piping goes right around them. Sticks right through the middle of the bumper so should see plenty of fresh cold air.
thread post photo

I will get more finished pics of everything when I put it back together for the final(for now) time.
dale   +1y
sounds good is that the motor out of ur other truck?
renagadecoupe   +1y
what size wheels are they and the offset they look really cool on there and they gonna tuck good???