threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.0L \  Cracked head. Recommendations?

Cracked head. Recommendations?

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 767
replies 3
following 3

krakenfury   +1y
86 Mazda b2000. Heard back from the machinist today that my head is cracked. Calling all the salvage yards in town, but no luck so far. Found a reman for $300 online, but wanted to check if anyone has had experience with this situation. I'm afraid getting everything too high and tight up top will blow the bottom out of this old block.
Post was last edited on Aug 20, 2015 11:08. This post has been edited 1 times.
Cusser   +1y
Some like Earl have bought brand-new heads for about that price, from Clearwater, in Florida, and liked those.
ndross475   +1y
Krakenfury you have a legitimate concern, at least in my experience. I replaced everything around the block on a 77 Spitfire once, it had 75k on it and ran well before we swapped the head. Ran for 15 min with the new head before a rod went pow. I have seen Re-Man heads in the $300 range. I would just swap the head and hope for the best, but then what are the odds it happens to me twice??
krakenfury   +1y
Thanks, y'all. I think I'm going to go with the reman. Found a used one in stock at a shop in NC, but they tested it and it was cracked. Seems like a large percentage of these heads have ended up in the hands of remanufactures. I'm sure there's a used head in a yard somewhere that could be pulled that would work, but not all places will pressure test before they ship, and it would probably cost me a lot of time to save a little money.
Page 1 of 1