threads
Page 2 of 4
Site News Comments \  Revised site - very confusing !!!

Revised site - very confusing !!!

Site News Comments
views 8193
replies 36
following 5

immortal1 (linn)   +1y
LOL, ugly baby. I can relate, and that really did make me laugh.
dan woodland   +1y
I won't be back either (can't quote SinCityLocal)... I wasn't prompted for a new PW twice, posts are in the wrong order, oldest to newest, not newest to oldest, and I can't find the complaint thread to post this (link above doesn't work). Yes, I know I can copy it to another browser... Additionally, as the send private message screen shot above shows (You must be friends.... bla bla bla). If you click the Send Message button it sits there for some time................ then opens a dialog box to enter your message and eventually send it and the Market is not user friendly at all. It appears you are not able to send a message until you friend request everyone you want to send a message. I imagine this site is headed the way of handheld devices like many web sites these days which is progress I guess but I'm stuck in the past and don't have enough time to track down the old threads etc etc. I'm not a fan of this new format... Thanks for your efforts BAHA, I hope things work out eventually. Dan
Cusser   +1y
I got an E-mail from this site asking about a friend request (whatever that really is) and the E-mail said to click the link to accept; but there was no link, ended copying in the string. Sit just awkward and non-intuitive. I wish I had posted a year ago before the Marketplace change: I would've posted "Don't "FIX" what's "NOT BROKEN" !!! It's like at work, company changed protocols and now it's extremely unwieldy and slow to order anything !!! We used to call in with a MasterCard.
baha   +1y
Thanks again for the feedback! When you give examples, that really helps me understand better, especially compared to just a comment like this or that sucks. Things will get better. I have a full time job that can be demanding at times but I'll use your feedback to make improvements as fast as I can. I have roughly 10 user interface improvements that I'm going to try to finish before next Monday...life willing.

Dan,

You are correct, I guess the term coined is "accessible" but yeah a lot of work is being focused to have the site function well on phones as well as computers. I'm not sure what you mean for the post order, every site I've been on, thread posts always are ordered oldest on top and newest at the bottom on the last page. It looks like a common misconception, even though you can message someone with out them being listed as your friend the <Send Message> button is missed.

Cusser,

For the email, thanks I'll double check to make sure links are clickable. The whole "Friends" feature actually existed since 2008 but I don't think many people used it. It's a really useful feature but it's up to you. It allows you to have a saved list of users you want to stay in contact with and you will be able to do more in the future but I don't think you will want it to much if you have a rolodex.

The whole "accepting" a friend request is to help keep your information private and allowing access to those you approve.
baha   +1y
Also, I'm at a lost as to why the Market isn't user friendly, can you help me out? In my head I'm thinking it's because it's just different.

If I'm selling something I would click "LIST ITEM" but maybe it should say "SELL SOMETHING". Also if I'm selling something I would need to list what I'm selling, where it's located etc. I think it helps answer a lot of questions that would be asked anyway. Shouldn't you always list what you are selling, the price, condition and where you are selling it from?

A lot of for sale threads have the first few posts asking for the price, seller location etc.
mgroshong   +1y
Is there a reason no older links work? I used this site as reference for my truck and my projects and now not a single link works when a Google search. The search currently is useless. I signed up just before the big switch and now honestly this site is unusable in its current state.
baha   +1y
Do you ever use the built in search engine?

The reason old links don't work is the urls have changed, and until Google reindexes the site, the links they have in their system are outdated.

Tell you what, to make the transition easier, I'll make a redirector that will auto redirect you to the new url as long as you referring to a book marked thread. It will work as long as you book marked a thread but not a post.
Cusser   +1y
"The reason old links don't work is the urls have changed, and until Google reindexes the site, the links they have in their system are outdated.

Tell you what, to make the transition easier, I'll make a redirector that will auto redirect you to the new url as long as you referring to a book marked thread. It will work as long as you book marked a thread but not a post."

I hope that's good, because I don't understand a #$^&&*$*(^#Q@**~ word of it !!! Why are bold and Italic buttons grayed out?
awebb   +1y
Honestly, I'm with these guys. I realize I'm a n00b here but I wanted to chime in as it's kind of my job (literally I do software certification and testing to make sure everything is usable and working correctly). Here are the things I've noticed:

-Links don't work. I realize this has been brought up already and that it's effectively on Google's shoulders now to resolve BUT this is a HUGE impact for me as a new B-series owner. When I search Google for a quick answer or root through my list of hoarded information, all I get is a "Ooops we couldn't find the data" link. From what I can tell the knowledge base on this site is extremely strong and I feel like this one thing is robbing this forum of MUCH needed traffic.
-The search engine is TERRIBLE. If I can't specify specific phrases to search for within quotation marks, I instantly walk away. The overabundance of data thrown at a new user is so overwhelming that the end result is a new thread of "Hey guys, how do I do X". This pisses off old members and enables spoon feeding for new ones. Not to mention that I cannot filter searches based on when they were filed, who they were filed by, tags, or search "Title" vs "Text".
-I can't easily find the threads or posts that I've been a part of. I joined 2 weeks ago and started 1 thread, I have no idea where that is or how to find it. If I click my profile, I should be able to quickly see a list of posts I've made or threads I've started. It might be there now but I cannot find it.
-I have to use my email to log in as opposed to my user name. This seems small but typing "FirstName.LastName@gmail.com" and then my password (which I had to reset for some reason) is a lot more of an impact than typing 5 characters. Oh and I've got this weird thing where I never leave myself "automatically logged in".
-I have no idea why the FS section is a different tab. Different sub-forum sure but different tab altogether...
-Home is "New Posts" (I don't hate that being on the front page but it's misleading as "Home" typically denotes a Home page). And "Threads" are the "Forum" (which again is misleading, if I click "Threads" I expect to be greeted with a wall of different threads not sub-forums and forums)

I won't go into my dislike of the bubbly iPhone style look and feel. I realize that a more mobile friendly platform is what you're after so I'll reserve my comments for that.
Post was last edited on Aug 21, 2015 02:08. This post has been edited 1 times.
ndross475   +1y
Baha, I want to second awebb, I realize you are waiting for Google to reindex, but when I am searching for titles of articles that show in the Google search on the Sites search engine they should come up shouldn't they? I am getting thousands of posts many of which are totally unrelated to the phrase that I am searching... Not a bitch, just letting you know how its going, I promise when it starts going smoothly I will post atta boys!!
I also assume this site isn't your day job and you aren't making a small fortune adminning the site, I appreciate your work and the headaches you are going through.