threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine General \  Stuck in a rut, Shed some knowledge on me!

Stuck in a rut, Shed some knowledge on me!

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 821
replies 3
following 3

tanner10   +1y
Hey guys! New to the Mazda scene and i've already found myself in trouble!

1991 Mazda B2200 (Carb), 2nd Owner, Ive had it for about a year now no major issues.
Ill be doing 45 in 4th gear, and i get the surging/pulsing feeling in the truck. Power then no Power
If i BARELY push the gas it just wants to go! When i step on the throttle it wants to stumble on itself or it will just hit a flat spot (like a 009 on a VW)
I figured the timing might be off so i hit it with a timing gun, seemed to be fine. I pulled off the Vacuum Advance and the engine didnt change rhythm at all . . . its hooked up to my carb so i just ordered a vacuum advance. But my motor runs smoother when i pulled off the vacuum line that hooks up to the airbox where the 3 hardlines come from the exhaust??? sorry i dont know the correct terms. Replaced rotor, cap, wires, gaskets, fuel pump, coil. Compression is awesome and within 10 pounds of each other. I love this truck and would love to save it! Any help would be awesome! I'm in Phx, Arizona
post photo
tanner10   +1y
When i pull off that vacuum line(yellow line) it runs smoother?
sincitylocal   +1y
I'm going to suggest you change your fuel filter... It looks like you have a fuel injection filter in there.
You're probably starving for fuel.
Cusser   +1y

Actually, I've used the same German-built 009 distributor on my VW 1835 cc engine since back in 1976 and don't have that issue.

As to your issue, I can see what looks like some aftermarket type of fuel filter, what's going on there? You did replace the fuel filter, right? You did check the ignition timing, right? Are you skilled enough to check/confirm that the timing belt has been put on correctly? Did your truck pass AZ emission tests?

Yes, these stock carb systems are very complicated, and worse as they get old. And vacuum leaks can cause funny stuff to happen.

I've had a Weber on my '88 B2200 for a decade now.
Page 1 of 1