Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine General \  A few questions about 89

A few questions about 89

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 574
replies 2
following 3

jcurry   +1y
Hey guys, just picked up a 89 b2200 yesterday and have a few questions. First of all the vac lines and etc, are a mess. Im trying to sort through them, and would like to make the truck run well without going to a weber setup. It runs ok now, but is very rich probably due to the egr being unhooked, the o2 sensor is broken off and a few other things. First question is, I have looked at the vac diagrams, but what port does the dizzy vac advance go to on the truck? Second of all, what all is needed for this thing to control the fuel mixture? Just the EGR, o2 sensor, and water temp reading from the bottom of the radiator? Also I cant find the wire where the o2 sensor is supposed to plug in, Can anyone tell me where I need to look to find the connector for the o2 sensor? Also where is the wire for the electric choke, as its not hooked up either.

Thanks!!
Cusser   +1y

The electric choke should plug into a separate place on the rear of the alternator.

I have a Weber on mine, so can't be of more help with the oxygen sensor stuff.
mazdatweaker_2   +1y

The O2 sensor signal is there to tell the computer that the mixture is too rich or lean so you are going to have to have that in place. If the wire is broken off my suggestion is that you buy a new sensor, install it, and pull the air filter housing and look for the green square box connector. The wire for the new O2 sensor will act as a guide as to the location as to where the location is as you can carefully spin the new wire around to find maybe where the comupter harness is located.

The sensor in the bottom of the radiator is there to tell the computer to attempt to go into closed loop operation as the engine temperature will be sufficient to support it.

The egr signal is also a ported (as I recall) signal that tells the computer to attempt to close the loop on vehicle operation with the scratchy signal from the EGR sensor. I think that signal tell the computer to start to attempt to activate the mixture control solenoid in the carburetor.

As Cusser indicated, there is a location on the back of the alternator that sends a 7vdc signal to the electric choke and it is a small rectangular opening to match the plug for the choke.
Obviously it not being hooked up is going to also make the truck run richer than it should.

Finally, do you have a multimeter that can measure dwell? There is a breakout point on the original wiring harness that can be used to find out if your truck is going into closed loop.
Page 1 of 1