Page 3 of 3
Mazda Projects \  91 B2200 back from the grave

91 B2200 back from the grave

Mazda Projects
views 5294
replies 27
following 6

tbrooks   +1y

It doesn't look like the freeze plug was leaking. It looked like a big glob of old crusty sealant maybe. I didn't see any damage under it. Maybe somebody got rtv all over trying to replace the freeze plug. The top left of the orange glob is something circular, looks like it could be an allen head screw/bolt, or maybe a weep hole. I'm not sure whats up with it, I'll check that out more next time I'm over there.
axel breaker earl   +1y
There is a oil galley screw-in plug there.......it may have been leaking and they gooped it up to stop it.

thread post photo
geterdun   +1y
Sounds in the area, 86 being more than 85.85. Block still has the Cris-cross hone marks, can't be much wear.
tbrooks   +1y
What I can't understand is the book specifies something like 86-86.15 as being within tolerance. It must be my calipers aren't correct. I zeroed them several times throughout the process, and all the measurements were fairly consistent, so I trust that my cylinders are in good shape and within wear tolerances, especially with such good hone marks. They are good and pretty consistent throughout the cylinders other than the bottom inch or so, which I assume is normal.
geterdun   +1y
You can put a new standard ring in the cylinder at the top. Use the piston to push the rod down to the end of ring travel in the cylinder. Pull the piston out and check the ring gap with a set of feeler gauges. It will have a greater gap at the top, where the slinging [change from push (the piston down) to shove (the exhaust out)] is done.
Post was last edited on May 01, 2015 09:05. This post has been edited 1 times.
scotch   +1y

That was an environmentally conscious dirt-dobber trying to stop the leak by building her nest there.
tbrooks   +1y
Hey, I finally came back! I've still been waiting on my buddy to get his motor out, and I've had a ton of other things going on, so this poor project has just been sitting :( I'm gonna go ahead and just get a new crank, as they are just a couple hun $, and new is better than used. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated, the first site I found having them was Rockauto, so thats probably who I will get it from. I've gotta sit down and make a list of all the parts I have and what I still need to get, so hopefully I can get this done before winter gets here. If I can remember how to get it back together lol. Still have to get it to a shop to get all the machine work done, but I wanna get everything I need first, so I'm ready to get it done.
1986b2000   +1y
ABE what is the thing directly to the bottom left corner of the small freeze plug that's to the right of the oil filter? Is it a sensor of some sort?